A former part of the great West Field of Kingston Manor
Originally just a part of the great Medieval West Field of Kingston Manor, Lockyer's Mead (Parcel 1351) was a field of Larkhill Farm and bounded to the west by Larkhill Lane, to the north by Dampier's Mead (1350) and Cogan's Mead (1352), to the west by Lower Grubhams (1353) and Higher Grubhams (1354) and to the south by Higher Larkhill (1415).
The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded Lockyer's Mead as 8a 1r 20p and noted its use as meadow - grassland not regularly grazed by livestock but allowed to grow unchecked in order to produce hay. The Apportionment noted that the owner of Lockyer's Mead was William Jones Prowse and the tenant was James Pope.
There was also another field called Lockyer's Mead (owned by Elizabeth Duffett, widow of Samuel Duffett, and the tenant was William Rodber) just to the north of the Union House in Preston Road as well as the large field called Lockyer's Ground (1356) at the junction of Thorne Lane and Ilchester Road.
Today the site of the former Lockyer's Mead is occupied by the houses and gardens of Larkhill Road and Thornton Road.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
A conjectural map of the great West Field of Kingston Manor showing ancient sub-fields, most likely common fields, within the overall bounds of West Field.
The Larkhill area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Lockyer's Mead is towards top left.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Lockyer's Mead at centre alongside Larkhill Lane.
The same area today 'borrowed' from Google maps.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (slightly out at the bottom) over a modern map.