A field originally called Milkeford
The 1589 Terrier, in referring to the boundaries of the great Middle Field of Kingston Manor, noted Milford several times as follows ".... From Gore Corner next the Highway to Goldcroft Lane end and up to Milkford Lane end.... In John Vicars close at Milkeford Lane end.... In Thos Phelps Close at Milkeford."
The surrender of a lease dated 30 March 1665 between Sir William Stourton and Thomas Marsh of Kingston, joiner, referred to ".... All those 2½ a pasture in the Lord’s domain of Kingston Fields called Mileford lately enclosed within the Manor of Kingston for 99 years on the lives of Thos Marsh the Elder, Thos Marsh the Younger, George Marsh and Marie Marsh."
By the time of the 1842 Tithe Map the former field had been split into several parcels; the most northern was Harbin's Milford (1019) and identified separately in the 1846 Tithe Apportionment. Parcels 1018 to 1014 were all part of the former Milford - bounded on the west by Goldcroft Lane (today's Goldcroft) and in the east by Milford Brook. Parcel 1014 was recorded as pasture of 4a 0r 1p and Parcel 1017 was recorded as pasture with an area of 3a 0r 15p but the other two Parcels were not recorded.
As seen by the aerial photograph of 1946 below, those parts of Milford not built on with King Street and Crofton Avenue were used as allotments at this time.
Today the site
of the former
Milford field is
flank by the
the eastern side
is occupied by
the northern end
Drive and pretty
much the whole
of Valley Close,
King Street and
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
This map is based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award.
The 1946 aerial photograph with Goldcroft running from top left to bottom centre and Milford Lane at top right. Milford Brook is delineated by the wavy dark band of trees lining its banks and running from top left of centre towards centre right. King Street cuts across the centre right of the photograph from Goldcroft to Highfield Road at top right, with Crofton Avenue running off it.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed (roughly) over a modern street map showing where several modern roads, for example Gordon Road, Grass Royal and Highfield Road, follow former field boundaries.