Northernmost part of 'New Town'
North Terrace was built on a greenfield site in 1871 by Samuel Cridland, a local builder and mason, as a T-junction terminating the northern end of Eastland Road and, at this time, was the northernmost part of ‘New Town’, hence its name. To its west, north and east were open fields. When built it was actually outside the municipal boundary and didn't come within Yeovil until the 1904 boundary extension.
At the time of
construction both ends of
the terrace were
dead ends, which
the west end
still is, and
never adopted by
today. The east
end now joins
with Grass Royal
laid out until
at least the
Map based on the 1901 Ordnance Survey showing the different speculative housing projects built in the early days of Newtown. North Terrace is top centre.
North Terrace, photographed in 2013.
North Terrace seen from Grass Royal. Photographed in 2013.
Samuel Cridland's 1871 datestone in North Terrace. Note the attention to architectural detail - at very top, immediately beneath the eaves, are bricks laid at an angle (here unfortunately painted black) with stylised Greek elements (regulae and guttae) below. Photographed in 2014.
North Terrace seen from Grass Royal. Photographed in 2016.