The Early History of Newton Surmaville

Early History of Newton Surmaville

The Manor before the Harbins


The following early history of Newton Surmaville is from the "History of the Manor of Newton Surmaville" by the Rev. E H Bates Harbin MA, published in the Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society during 1910.




The manor of Newton is not mentioned separately in the Domesday Survey, and must have been contained in one of the two estates which included Yeovil. From its position it was probably part of the estate of William de Eu, who had for his under-tenant Hugh Maltravers. Although de Eu's attainder for rebellion against William Rufus did not disturb the tenure of the under-tenant, whose name still survives in Hendford Maltravers, some portion certainly fell to the Crown.

A member of the royal family, whom a jury in 1219 could not identify nearer than "the daughter of a certain king" (filia cujusdam regis), bestowed a part called the free tenement of Yeovil on the parish church of St John in free and perpetual alms. There is good reason for believing that the Empress Maud was intended under this obscure designation. By a grant from the Crown, Newton was created a separate manor, rated at one hide, to be held in petit serjeanty by the annual service of rendering a tablecloth of ten ells measure and a towel of five ells to the Exchequer at the feast of St. Michael.

The earliest reference to Newton that I have been able to find is given in a Final Concord made at Guildford, 28 January 1208 (9 John). The parties to this were Robert de Monasterio and Matilda his wife, by Robert himself in his wife's place, plaintiffs, and William Walensis and Emma his wife, tenents, by William himself in his wife's place, for one third part of the villes of Waie and Newenton and Sideliz, which Robert and Matilda claimed as her dower by gift from Ralph son of Ruand, formerly her husband. This gift having been acknowledged by the tenents, Robert and Matilda surrendered it in consideration of an annuity of thirty shillings during Matilda's life. Waie and Sideliz are in Dorsetshire. The former is one of several manors of that name recorded in Domesday, mostly small, which compose the modern parishes of Upway and Broadway; the latter is perhaps part of Upsydling in the parish of Sydling St Nicholas. As Alured de Lincoln obtained the custody of these lands in 1232, we must probably in Domesday look for these manors which were then held by Alured's ancestress, Hawisia widow of Hugh Fitzgrip of Wareham, and afterwards wife of Alured of Lincoln. But in Domesday one of the manors called Waie, which had belonged to Hugh Fitzgrip, was then in the king's hands, and it is highly probable that there it remained. In the return of knights' fees, made in 1166, under the heading "De dono Domini Regis de purchasiis Episcopi Sarisbiriensis" appears the name of Rualent or Rualet de Waie as holding one-and-a-half knight's fees. Either Rualent (or Ruand) or his son Ralph must have been the donee of Newton, as the wording of the Final Concord shows that Emma Walensis was her father's heir.

Her stepfather, Robert de Monasterio, may have been descended from William de Monasterio who in 1086 held part of Blandford St Mary. In 1166 among the knights of Alured de Lincoln were William de Monasterio holding three fees and Robert de Monasterio with half a fee. William also held one fee of Cerne Abbey and two hides of Milton Abbey. Matilda de Monasterio may have married for the third time William de Wytefeud, but the evidence is not quite clear.

We will therefore return to Emma Walensis, or de Waie, the most important individual in the concord of 1208. On her death in 1221 a jury, composed of Milode Hundeston, John de Marisco, Richard de Happelby, Richard de Cantilupe, John Viel, John de Cokeford, and many others, found that Emma de Waie held one hide of land in Niweton of the king by the service mentioned above, and that Philip de Salmunvill her son was her nearest heir.

As several of the jurors, and William Walensis, served on the jury which enquired into the liberties of Yeovil church in 1219, it is probable that the jury of 1221 met at Yeovil or Ilchester. The first husband of Emma belonged to the Norman family of Sarmonville, or Salmonville as it is indifferently written. This is a small village about nine milesnorth-east of Rouen. The family was resident in Dorsetshire at an early date, as in 1166 Philip de Sarmunville held half a knight's fee of Alured de Lincoln; and his holding was no doubt Langton Sarmavile (but now Herring), which in Domesday was held by the king and the widow of Hugh Fitzgrip. As it is hardly likely that Philip was the husband of a lady who was living in 1221, we must suppose that his son (whose Christian name is not on record) was the first husband of Emma de Waie, and after being the father of Philip de Salmtmvill died before 1208. In 1227 Jordan de Sarmunville quitclaimed to Philip de Sarmunville, after an assize of Mort Dancester, all his rights to two hides of land in Langeton and Waie, receiving in return a moiety of the manor of Stertes (Sterthill in Burton Bradstock) with the capital messuage and garden, saving to Philip and his heirs the advowson of the said ville. This looks like an arrangement between two brothers.

After the death of Emma de Waie in 1221, who according to the custom of the period was known by the name of her estate in preference to that of her father or her husband, Philip de Sarmunville recovered Newton from William le Waleis in exchange for one hundred shillings as the result of an action tried at the Assizes, 1225. The wording of the record seems to imply that William had tried to back out of his bargain by a denial of the facts, for which he was left in the king's mercy. A note in the Pipe Roll for 1228 records that Philip had accounted at the Exchequer for his annual service.

Philip married Beatrix, daughter of William, son of Roger, and widow of Gerard de Clist, and endowed her with an hide of land at Newton. During their lifetime they gave to the Abbey of Torre in Devonshire the church of Hennock which was the inheritance of the said Beatrix.

Philip died in 1232, as in that year the king granted to Alured de Lincoln for ten marks the custody of the lands which he had held, notwithstanding that the said Philip held of the king in capite a carucate of land in Newton by the aforesaid service. In 1236 Beatrix de Sarmonvill accounted at the Exchequer for one mark for not prosecuting a suit, and 1241 she accounted for another mark for withdrawing her suit.

Philip's family consisted of three daughters who were all married bj 1243. At the Assizes held at lchester that year the jurors for Stone Hundred returned that Geoffrey de Warmill and Margaret his wife, Thomas de Crukert and Joan his wife, and Henry de Milleburn and Cecily his wife, hold one hide of laud in Newton of the king in serjeanty by the aforesaid service. In spite of the order given to the daughters there is plenty of evidence that Johanna (Joan), generally known as de Sormaville, was the eldest, in confirmation of the editor's note on the above return that though the ladies were apparently co-heiresses, lands held in serjeanty had been treated as incapable of partition, and the eldest daughter could claim the whole.

Cecily de Milleburn does not appear again as interested in the manor, and was either bought out, or died childless.

Thomas de Crukert was the owner of Cricket St Thomas in South Petherton hundred, most probably descended from William de Cruket who held two knight's fees in 1166 of Henry Lovell. Ralph de Cruket was a juror at the Taunton Assizes in 1201; and was a royal verderer for the county in 1232. Thomas de Cricket died before the close of the reign of Henry III. In the Patent Roll, 1 Edward. I, 1272, is the appointment of Henry de Wollavington to take the assize of novel disseisin arraigned by Mabel Gidye against John de Cricket and others touching a tenement in Newton. In Kirkby's "Quest," 1284-5, Johannes de Cryket and William de Sarneville held a moiety of Nyweton et Samaville by the serjeanty aforesaid, and the other moiety of William de Gowys. On the death of William Gouiz in 1299 it was found that Johanna de Cruket held of him half a knight's fee in Nyweton to her and her heirs, of the annual value of twenty shillings. She pays nothing but renders royal service.

This evidence would imply that the Patent Rolls and Kirkby's "Quest" have erred in entering John instead of Johanna (de Sormaville or Cricket), who certainly held Newton at her death in 1307. There was, however, a John de Cricket living at this period, who in 1296 granted lands and the advowson of the chapel in Estham (in Crewkerne), the property of his wife Joan, to Geoffrey de Ashlond, and Michael, grandson of Johanna owned a moiety of Estham as will appear later. It is possible that John de Cricket was the eldest son of Johanna and died before his mother without an heir; or that William was his son.

The exact date of the death of Johanna de Sormaville is illegible in the Inquisition post mortem, but this was held at Somerton the 6th July, 35 Edward I, 1307. The jury found that she held in Nyweton Sormavile one messuage with a garden, 66 acres of land, 1 acre of wood and another of pasture, and 2 acres of alder grove, in petty serjeanty by the abovenamed service. Also that there were five free tenants, of whom William de Warmewelle held a messuage, 22 acres of land, and 3s. 4d. rent, paid on the festival of the exaltation of the Holy Cross (14th September); John Godwyn held 12 acres of land and paid 1 Ib. of cumin seed at Michaelmas; William de Wontesleigh held 10 acres of land and paid 6d at the festival of the Purification; Henry de Rixchyvel held 5 acres of land and paid 12d at Michaelmas, and Ralph Sallman held 10 acres of land and paid 18 pence. There was also one villein who held a messuage and 10 acres of land and paid 18 pence by half-yearly payments, and two cottagers who paid 12 pence and 9 pence respectively. The jury then delivered a second finding that the property was held of William de Gouiz, who was nephew and co-heir of the late Alured de Lincoln, and left two daughters, Johanna the wife of John Latimer, and Alice wife of Robert le Musteres. Finally, that William de Crucket was her son and heir, aged thirty years and more.

William de Crucket (or de Sarmaville) as heir of his father held Cryket (St Thomas) of Richard Lovel for one quarter of a knight's fee in 1303. In 1296 Geoffrey de Wermwell and William de Cruket held one quarter of a knight's fee in Southwaje in Culford Hundred. William was dead in 1313, and the jury on the Inquisition post mortem found that he held divers lands in Nyweton Sormanville in petit serjeanty by the service as above, also the ville of Cricket held of Richard Lovel; and in Dorsetshire a water mill at Waye Rywand and divers lands in Bradeway; and that Michael his son and heir was forty years old and more.

In 1303 Michael de Cricket held, with Galfrid de Aslond, Estham, Langebrigg, and the tenure of Henry de Legh, of William de Cryket for one quarter of a knight's fee: and he presented to the chapel of Estham in 1313. But before long he had to part with all the lands in Somerset and Dorset. In 1315 he conveyed to Richard de Cruket (his son) and Cristina his wife and the heirs of their body a messuage, mill, and other property in Brodewaye and Wayerwant with reversion to Michael. He also conveyed to his son at a date not yet known, Cricket St Thomas; and in 1327 Richard and Cristina sold the manor and advowson to Walter de Rodneye. In 1318 the Patent Rolls record a pardon to John Musket for acquiring in fee without licence a messuage, a carucate of land, and 20s rent in Newenton Sameville from Michael de Cruket tenant in chief, for a fine of one mark. In 1317 Michael and Isabella his wife granted five acres of land in Hewenebar (parish of Hardington Mandeville) to Walter and Nicholas de Helmendone with reversion to Michael and Isabella and her heirs.

In 1321 they granted divers lands with a moiety of the advowson of the chapel of Estham to Ivo and Alice de Ashlond and their children Thomas and Alice for their lives, with reversion to Richard and Cristina. The connection of the family with Somersetshire was now practically severed, and the only trace of them at Newton is the field-name of Cricketsham still applied to a portion of the meadow near the South-Western railway bridge.

The Musket family were originally settled at Hescombe within the Hundred of Tintinhull and apparently in the parish of Brympton, but now unknown. In 1316 John Musket held Hetecombe in Tintinhull Hundred; and in the Taxation Roll of 1327 where Hescombe and Draycote (in Limington parish and Stone Hundred) are conjoined, John Musket heads the list of taxpayers with a payment of four shillings. In 1309 Richard Abbod conveyed to John Musket for one hundred marks of silver a messuage and land in Esthestecombe and Westhestecombe; and in 1316 Richard Hervey conveyed to John Musket for one hundred shillings lands in Kyngeston, Mershe, and Sok Denys. In 1318, as stated above, John Musket acquired the land of Michael de Cruket in Newenton Samaville.

John Musket died 4 January 1351. The return of the Inquisition post mortem taken at Yeovil 12 March 1351, shows that he held of the King in capite by the service of 6s 8d, a messuage with a carucate of land and 20s rent in Newenton Sarmevill, worth 40 shillings, a messuage with a carucate of land at Leghe of Richard de Chyseldon, lord of Penne (Selwood), and 30 acres at Elleneston, held of the Prior of Montacute. His brother William, aged 40 and more, was his heir.

William seems to have borrowed money from Robert de Samborne, Rector of Yeovil, as in 1358 it was found not to the King's damage to allow John Botor to have again four marks issuing from two-thirds of the manor of Newton Sarmavill, acquired from Robert de Samborne for the life of the said Robert, held of William Musket. In 1360 William Musket settled Newton (and probably Elleneston) on his son John and his wife Alianora. John died in 1373; the inquisition though still in existence, is quite illegible. Alianora Musket died 23 November 1385; the inquisition taken at Yeovil 20 January 1386, returned that she held the lands in Newton mentioned above by the service of 40 pence, and 40 acres of land in the same ville of Robert Latymer as of his manor of Duntish, and 30 acres in Elneston within the manor of Hendford of Reginald Cobham; and further that Agnes daughter of John and Alianora and now wife of John Holine, aged 25 and more was her daughter and heir. After this date the Holine (or Holme) connection with Newton and Hescombe disappears; so we will return to the fortunes of the remaining daughter of Philip de Sormaville, Margaret wife of Geoffrey de Warmwell.

This family took their name from a village in South Dorset, where they settled from very early times. In the return of 1166 Geoffrey de Warmewelle held one knight's fee of Alured de Lincoln. By a fine levied in 1205 Idonia, who was the wife of Theodore de Warmewelle, received a life interest in property in that ville. In 1235 Geoffrey de Wermwell and Adam Scherard made an arrangement concerning common of pasture in Meurrige with Eudo Martel.

By 1243 Geoffrey was married to Margaret Sormaville, so apparently he cannot be the Geoffrey who with Joan his wife held half an acre of land in Broadway in, Geoffrey de Warmwell was dead before the end of Henry IIl's reign. By a charter earlier than 1269 John atte Bridport granted to Geoffrey de Warmwell, Knight, for 10 marcs of silver all his land in the ville of Walditch (co. Dorset) to which Sir Thomas de Cricket was witness; and by a later deed Margaret late wife of Geoffrey de Warmwell in her legal widowhood granted to Henry Sherard with Eve her daughter in frank marriage the whole of her land in Wauditch by rent of 1 Ib of cumrnin for all services save royal.

By another charter dated at Wermewelle the Thursday after Epiphany, 53 Hen. Ill (10 January 1269), Margaret late wife of Geoffrey de Warmwell granted to Adam son of Henry Sherard for his homage and service the rent of 1 Ib. of cummin which she had been accustomed to receive of Henry Sherard and Eve his wife for the land at Wauditch which the said Margaret had given in frank marriage with Henry and Eve her daughter. The two branches of the family remained on good terms. By a deed dated at West Marsh the Thursday after the Epiphany, 6 Kic. II (8 January 1383), Richard de Warmwell by his faithful in Christ, William, Rector of Warmwell and John Bardolph, of Yeovile, thereby constituted his attornies, gives full and peaceful seizin of all his lands in Warmwell and elsewhere in Dorset to John Fauconer and Matilda his wife (sister of said Richard). In witness thereof he appended his seal, but because his seal was unknown to many the seal of Roger de Warmwell was appended. Gerard gives as the arms of Warmwell " Three mulletts, out of a seale."

Another branch of the family settled at Salisbury, where William Warmwell was mayor in 1380, and Robert Warmwell filled that office in 1419 and 1429. Geoffrey and Margaret Warmwell were succeeded at Newton by their son William, born in or about 1247. He gave evidence at an enquiry held in 1297 concerning the age of John de Meryet, who was born 2 April 1276; and testified that in the same year on the festival of St. Barnabas (11th June) he bought his land at Newton, in the county of Somerset, which he yet holds. There is now no record of any purchase, and I am inclined to think that it may refer to the delivery of his free tenement in Newton after his parents' death. He married late in life, and died in 1307. The Inquisition held at Somerton 4 July 1307, returned that he held divers lands in Newton Sormavyle of the heir of Johanna de Sormavyle, and with Alianora his wife held a moiety of Pen Mill (in Yeovil); and that Richard de Warmwell his son and heir is seven years old.

In the Tax Roll for 1327 Richard de Warmwell paid one shilling in Kingston (part of Yeovil), but after this date he disappears, and was succeeded by Roger de Warmwell, who may have been his son and heir. In the great riot at the parish church of Yeovil, on 8 November 1349, when the Bishop of the Diocese was treated with great rudeness and violence, Roger, being presumably young and foolish, was a ringleader, to judge by the severity of the punishment imposed upon him. He was to perform public penance in the churches of Yeovil, Wells, Bath, Glaston, Bristol, and Somerton; make a pilgrimage in penitential manner to Christ Church, Canterbury, and pay £20 to the Bishop.

He married Felicia daughter of Alice (husband's name not given), who was niece and co-heir of John de Preston. The uncle had died in the late autumn of 1361, and his married daughter Elizabeth de Pappeworth only survived him ten days, her only child John being already dead. It was the year of the pestis secunda which was remarkably fatal to the well-to-do and the young.

Roger died on the 8 April 1387, and his wife on the 25 May in the same year. The two inquisitions return that Roger held one third of the manor of Niweton Sarmaville by the service of 40 pence, and, jointly with his wife, lands, rents, and reversions in Preston Plucknett, Sock Dennis, West Marsh, Kingston juxta Yeovil, Chilthorne Domer, East Coker and West Coker. Their son and heir was John Warmwell aged 28 and more.

Like his predecessors John's name seldom occurs in the records of the time. The Episcopal register of 10 October 1411, records a licence to Robert Langbroke and Christiana his wife to have masses and other divine services in a chapel or simple oratory within the manor of John Warwelle at Newton Sarnaville.

John died on 8 September 1435, aged 76 or more. The inquisition held at Yeovil on 12 October was for some reasons not considered satisfactory, and another was held at Milborne Port, 9 June 1436. This found that he had settled a messuage with a garden, one toft, half a carucate of land, and 48 acres of pasture in Nyweton Sarmavyle by a deed dated 11th October 1420 (without the royal licence) upon himself and his wife Margery for their lives, with remainder to Ralph Brett, of Caundle Marsh, co. Dorset, now dead, and Agnes his wife, in fee, and the heirs of Agnes, and in default to Richard Peny and Alice his wife in fee, and her heirs, with remainder to the right heirs of the said John. Also that by a later deed, dated 6 September 1425, he settled two ferlings of land at Newton on Jane his then wife, with remainder as above. Finally that his heirs were his daughters, Alice aged 36, and Agnes aged 32; which names the clerk has apparently transposed. Another inquisition taken at the same time and place gave the additional information that Alice was now the wife of Simon Blyke.

Agnes Brett remarried for her second husband Tristram Burnell, of Poyntington. The Patent Rolls for 20 Hen. VI record a licence, 20 June 1442, to Tristram Burnell and Agnes his wife to enfeoff certain trustees of lands in Newton Surmaville, to settle the same on Tristram and Agnes and the heirs of her body by Ralph Brett, late her husband, remainder to the heirs of her body by Tristram, remainder to right heirs of Agnes. Her husband may have been descended from a son or nephew of Robert Burnell, Bishop of Bath and Wells, who left large estates in this county. Tristram was alive in 1464 when he was party to a fine for settling lands in Yeovil; but predeceased Agnes who died 27 December 1478. The Inquisition taken at Ilchester 29 March, 1479, returned that Agnes late wife of Tristram Burnell was seised of 3 messuages, 9 tofts, one dovecot, one garden, 140 acres of land, 4 acres of meadow, 254 acres of pasture in Newton Sarmaville, and of 2 tofts, one curtilage with garden annexed, and 20 acres of land in the same ville, which were all held by the service of rendering a towel and tablecloth of the value of 13s 4d, and were worth 5 marks; and were lately the property of John Warmhill; also of lands in Chilthorne Domer, Kingston juxta Yeovil, East Coker, and West Marsh. Finally that Henry her son and heir was 30 years old and more.

The enumeration of lands in Newton shows that the whole manor was now concentrated in one family, while the disappearance of the free tenants and cottagers points to the fact that the land was being laid down to grass. This is amply confirmed by the will of Henry Burnell referred to below. In 1485 John Lisle, Esq., and Amicia his wife conveyed a considerable amount of property in Crewkerne to Henry Burnell and Isabella his wife and her heirs. She also possessed other property in her own right as will be shown in the Inquisition post mortem. Henry's will composed in English, 5 January 1490 is a long and interesting document. It begins with a singular disposition of his body, which was to be buried under the High Altar of Sherborne Abbey, and then after several charitable bequests, left to his good and loving wife all his farm stock and produce at Charlton and elsewhere. Also to his daughter Jane 20 sheep and a good weight of wool; to Margaret 200 marks, if so that she marry with John Mychell Esq., of Cannington; to Isabel 100 marks for her marriage; to Alice to make her a "nonne" in the priory of Cannington; 100 shillings to his son Peter now being in the college of Winchester; a legacy to his son William; and to John, his eldest son, certain plate and gold chains. To Sir Henry, his godson, a weight of good wool to make him therewith a good gown and a hood; and 18 weights of wool not specifically disposed of to be sold to the utmost value for the legacies named in the will. The Inquisition post mortem was taken at Ilchester 10 April 1491. It returned that he held the lands enumerated in his mother's inquisition and had settled them by a deed dated 20 May 1480. He also held, apparently of his wife's inheritance, the manors of Byre Burnell and Otehull worth £17 annually, held of James Daubeneye. In Dorsetshire he held land in Caundel Marsh, Fivehead Nevile and Lydlinche, held of the Bishop of Salisbury, settled on him by his parents by a deed dated 14 October 1468. In Devonshire he held the manor of Croke Burnell, and lands in Croke Burnell, Croke Sampforde, Stone, and Holy Croke, all in the parish of North Tawton. Finally John is his son and heir aged 20 and more.

Isabel, the widow, survived her husband 33 years, and died 17 February 1524. The Inquisition post mortem was held at Yeovil in June of that year. It returned that she held property in Crewkerne, Cresham and Holestowey in the parish of Cutcombe, and in Harpefford of the Abbess of Caneley, i.e., Canonleigh in Devon; and that by a deed executed at Poyntington on 1 January 1516, she enfeoffed certain trustees of her lands to fulfil her last will. The recital of the necessary clauses follows, which is very fortunate as the will has disappeared. By it she bequeathed certain lands to her son Peter for twelve years to provide for an honest priest, secular and English, to sing for the souls of his parents, and for a solemn dirge to be sung in the Abbey Church of Sherborne. If her son John should disinherit his heirs, then the lands should remain to Peter for his life, and afterwards to his sisters. John had already disposed of part of his inheritance, for by a deed dated 15 March 1510, he for 300 marks sold to John Compton 4 messuages, 8 tofts, a columbarie called a dovehouse, a mill, 231 acres of land, 4 acres of meadow, 88 acres of pasture in Newton Sermaville and elsewhere, saving the life interest of himself, his wife Dorothy (daughter of William Knoul, of Sandford Orcas), and his mother Isabel Burnell. This was a good bargain for John Burnell as he lived till 1544, and then left Dorothy surviving. His will (proved 20 November 1544), contains elaborate directions for his burial in the chancel of Poyntington church, with a provision for a priest to sing for his soul for three years in the aisle of our Lady. No mention is made of any relatives besides his wife Dorothy and his cousin William Portman.

John Compton was of Beckington. His grandfather, also John, in his will made 3 May 1494, describes himself as a clothman, and the legacies include pieces of woollen cloth valued at 30 shillings. He was succeeded by another John, whose will was proved 27 October 1505. The document shows that the family were prospering. Two silver-gilt candelabra were bequeathed to Beckington church; portions given to penniless maidens, and legacies to the building of Bath Abbey and the reparation of roads. To him succeeded John, the purchaser of Newton, who died 13 October 1510, and was buried at Beckington, where his brass still remains in the chancel. The family pedigree, recorded at the Heralds' Visitation of 1591, places him at the beginning. From his elder brother Richard were descended the families formerly resident at South Petherton and Sutton Bingham. Thomas, son and heir of John, was the first actual owner of Newton. He died 4 August 1551, and the Inquisition taken at Langport, 5 November the same year, records that he held the manor of Newton Surmaville, which he had settled on himself and his wife Mary (daughter of Robert Hussye, of Burley, Hants), by a deed dated 20 April 1546, without acknowledging the life interest of Dorothy Burnell, widow. He also owned the manor of Beckington, and a wood there formerly the property of Mayden Bradley. His son and heir, Joseph, was nine years of age.

Joseph Compton resided at Newton. The registers of Yeovil church record the marriage of his daughter Mary with John Drake, in 1599, and the baptism of his grand-child Henry, son of Henry, in 1593. He purchased in 1587 from Leonard Carent, of Toomer, in Henstridge, part of the manor of Kingston, in Yeovil. But from some unknown cause in the course of a few years Joseph Compton became heavily involved in debt both to the Crown and to private individuals, and was obliged to sell Newton to Robert Harbyne, of Wyke, in the parish of Gillingham, Dorset. The conveyance is dated 18 November 1608; it included the manor of Newton Surmaville, and all that capital messuage, mansion house, and demesne lands thereto belonging