Elim Pentecostal Church

Elim Pentecostal church



George Jeffreys (1889–1962) founded the Elim Pentecostal Church in Monaghan, Ireland in 1915. An Elim Church began on 9 September 1928 at North Hill Farm, West Camel, but moved to Yeovil the following year, meeting at the Forrester's Hall.

Land was quickly purchased in Southville and a new sectional building was erected on the site. It was officially opened by George Jeffreys on 14 December 1929 with an estimated attendance of some two hundred people.

In 1962 the building was clad in brickwork and a two-storey extension was added at the front of the building to provide an entrance hall, kitchen and toilets. The following year the neighbouring house was purchased and the two buildings were connected.

During the 1970s the plot of land on the corner of Southville and Sherborne Road was purchased for use as a car park.

In 1986 the whole building was demolished, to be replaced with a new building with the main entrance in Southville. The new two-storey building, with part of the ground floor below ground, was officially opened by Paddy Ashdown on 28 November 1987.



The original Elim church, erected in 1929.


The original building was clad in brickwork and this two storey extension added. Photographed in 1986.


The southern and western elevations of the modern Elim church seen from Southville. Photographed in 2018.


The entrance elevation of the modern Elim church seen from Eastville. Photographed in 2018.