Three Acre Mead

Three Acre Mead

Part of Donn's Farm, later Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh


Three Acre Mead (Parcel 1145) was a small field and was part of Donn's Farm, later called Broadmead Farm, in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Three Acre Mead was owned by Robert Donn of Stoke sub Hamdon and the tenant was Thomas Dauncey. It was recorded as meadow for growing hay and measured 2a 3r 7p. The disparity between size and name is probably due to the use of 'Statute' measurements in the Apportionment which were actually smaller than the earlier local 'Customary' measurements.

Three Acre Mead (Parcel 1145) was bounded on the west by the access track to Donn's Farm (the continuation of Marsh Lane), on the north by Four Acre Mead (1) (Parcel 1150), to the east by Seven Acres (Parcel 1146) and to the south by Orchard (2) (Parcel 1144).

At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Donn's Farm had been renamed Broadmead Farm. At this time Three Acre Mead was now used as pasture for grazing livestock and was now recorded as 3a 3r 10p.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.