Triangular-shaped high ground
Goar Knap is that area of high ground containing Great Western Terrace and New Prospect Place. The name comes from the Old English gara, a gore, or triangular-shaped piece of land, and hnaep, for rising ground or the crest of a hill - both of which conditions are met here.
The 1590 Terrier, in describing the boundary of East Field states ".... from the upper part of Harder Mead down to the corner of Gore...." It was also the corner of Middle Field and the 1590 Terrier continues ".... from Gore corner next the Highway to Goldcroft Lane."
The area was also known as Ford’s Close – probably named for William Ford who flourished in the 1580’s. It was still referred to by this name as late as 1706 at which time it was also known as St Thomas Cross, although this name is now used for a new housing development off Eastland Road to the west.
In the seventeenth century the area was known as Brightmore or Brightmore Hill. The will of Edward Drake dated 7 May 1668 states ".... six acres of land called Brightmore in possession of Elizabeth Marsh in Yeovil or Pitney."
The 1832 and 1840-41 Register of Electors refers to Goar Knap and the 1846 Tithe Award notes the following parcels; 980 Goark Nap [sic], arable, 983 In Goark Nap Field, arable and 984 In Goark Nap Field, arable.
The 1854 Burgess Roll refers to Goar Knap Lane - an early name of today's St Michael's Avenue.
New Prospect Place was a long terrace of small cottages, now demolished and the land used as allotments. They were described as "simply huts with no foundations and originally having earth floors". Even so they were not demolished until 1907.
The 1901 Ordnance Survey showing Goar Knap and New Prospect Place.