A field originally called Torren
Somewhat south of the junction of Dorchester Road and Hendford Hill was originally a large field called Torren. By 1704 a lease showed that it had been divided into "two closes of arable and pasture ground called Torren, upon Hinford Hill". Between 1719 and 1751 various deeds referred to "Furzey close lying at Hyndford Hill commonly called the Torrett". By 1832 the Register of Electors recorded it as Tarratt's and at this time it was owned by Charles Stephens who resided in Paradise Row in Huish.
It would appear that by the time of the 1842 Tithe Map, Tarratt had been divided into at least eight smaller fields, four of which retained the name Tarratt, in addition to Higher Tarratt, Lower Tarratt, Great Tarratt and Little Tarratt.
(Parcel 770) as
measuring 4a 0r
0p and noted
Middlesex, was the
owner and the
occupier was Giles
(1797-1874) of Naish (today's
Coker - less
than a mile to
the west. Higher Tarratt was
bounded on the
on the west by a
track, on the
769) and on the
As seen in the aerial photograph of 1946 below, Higher Tarratt was arable but its northern end had encroached into Great Tarratt, bordered by a line of trees. Tree planting in more recent years has seen a narrow plantation formed between the fields. Today Higher Tarratt, now in the parish of East Coker, has been combined with Lower Tarratt to form a single larger field.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
MAPs & Aerial Photographs
Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Little Tarratt is at top right.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1846 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.
The 1946 aerial photograph with Dorchester Road at top right corner. Higher Tarratt is at centre.
The modern satellite image of Higher Tarrat now combined with Lower Tarratt.
The new plantation between Great Tarratt and Higher Tarratt seen from the field access track. Photographed in 2015.
Higher Tarratt seen from the field access track. Photographed in 2015.