A field of Brett Farm
Somewhat south of the junction of Dorchester Road and Hendford Hill was originally a large field called Torren. By 1704 a lease showed that it had been divided into "two closes of arable and pasture ground called Torren, upon Hinford Hill". Between 1719 and 1751 various deeds referred to "Furzey close lying at Hyndford Hill commonly called the Torrett". By 1832 the Register of Electors recorded it as Tarratt's and at this time it was owned by Charles Stephens who resided in Paradise Row in Huish.
It would appear that by the time of the 1842 Tithe Map, Tarratt had been divided into at least eight smaller fields, including Higher Ground (Parcel 771) - a small rectangular field alongside Dorchester Road and part of Brett Farm.
(Parcel 771) as
and measuring 3a 0r
25p and noted
Middlesex, was the
owner and Giles
(1797-1874) of Naish
East Coker -
less than a mile
to the west was the
bounded on the
on the west by
(Parcel 770), on the
768) and on the
Today Higher Ground, now in the parish of East Coker, has been combined with Home Field to form a single larger field.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
MAPs & Aerial Photographs
Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Higher Ground is towards top right.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1846 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.
The 1946 aerial photograph with Dorchester Road at top right corner. Higher Ground is at centre right.
The modern satellite image showing that Higher Ground is now combined with Home Field.