A field of Brett Farm
Somewhat south of the junction of Dorchester Road and Hendford Hill was originally a large field called Torren. By 1704 a lease showed that it had been divided into "two closes of arable and pasture ground called Torren, upon Hinford Hill". Between 1719 and 1751 various deeds referred to "Furzey close lying at Hyndford Hill commonly called the Torrett". By 1832 the Register of Electors recorded it as Tarratt's and at this time it was owned by Charles Stephens who resided in Paradise Row in Huish.
It would appear that by the time of the 1842 Tithe Map, Tarratt had been divided into at least eight smaller fields, including Home Field (Parcel 768) - a small rectangular field alongside Dorchester Road and part of Brett Farm.
Home Field (Parcel
and measuring 4a
10p and noted
Middlesex, was the
owner and Giles
(1797-1874) of Naish
East Coker -
less than a mile
to the west was the
bounded on the
on the west by
(Parcel 769), on the
765) and Brett
(Parcel 767) and on the
Today in the parish of East Coker, Home Field has been combined with Higher Ground to form a single larger field but has lost much of its southeast corner to a modern drive to Brett Farm (today's Keyford House).
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
MAPs & Aerial Photographs
Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Home Field is towards top right, just north of Brett Farm.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1846 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.
The 1946 aerial photograph with Dorchester Road running from top centre to bottom right. Home Field is seen at centre but by this time has had a large section of its southeastern side taken up be a new driveway to Brett Farm (today's Keyford House).
The modern satellite image showing the same area as the previous image.