A field of Brett Farm
Somewhat south of the junction of Dorchester Road and Hendford Hill was originally a large field called Torren. By 1704 a lease showed that it had been divided into "two closes of arable and pasture ground called Torren, upon Hinford Hill". Between 1719 and 1751 various deeds referred to "Furzey close lying at Hyndford Hill commonly called the Torrett". By 1832 the Register of Electors recorded it as Tarratt's and at this time it was owned by Charles Stephens who resided in Paradise Row in Huish.
It would appear that by the time of the 1842 Tithe Map, Tarratt had been divided into at least eight smaller fields, including Farm Close (Parcel 764) - a rectangular field to the west of Brett Farm. Although originally part of Brett Farm, indeed the 'Farm Close' of the farm, by 1846 it had clearly been sold off.
At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment Brett Farm was owned by William Brett of Islington, Middlesex, and Giles Harrison (1797-1874) of Naish (today's Nash), East Coker, was the occupier. However by this time Farm Close, as well as Tarratt (Parcel 735) to the immediate west, was owned by John Newman and the tenant was Robert Porter. Farm Close was recorded as arable and 4a 0r 20p in area.
Farm Close was
bounded on the
Tarratt (Parcel 769)
on the west by a
track, on the
763) and on the
Today in the parish of East Coker, Farm Close has been combined with Red Mead to form a single larger field.
For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.
MAPs & Aerial Photographs
Map based on the 1842 Tithe Map with field names added from the 1846 Tithe Award. Farm Close is towards centre right.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. Although the field boundaries do not align precisely, remember that the 1846 survey was undertaken by hand using primitive surveying equipment.
The 1946 aerial photograph with Dorchester Road at right. Farm Close is top, left of centre, and at this time still separated from Red Mead.
The modern satellite image showing that Farm Close is now combined with Red Mead.