A clue is in the name
Originally part of the great Medieval Middle Field of Kingston Manor, Quarry Field is one of several fields in Yeovil where the name intimates that stone was once commercially extracted. The fact that stone was quarried so close to the town is confirmed by the many entries for masons, stone workers and quarry men in the Victorian census returns,
Quarry Field (1070) was noted in the 1846 Tithe Apportionment to be 1a 2r 6p and its use was recorded as arable. It was bounded to the north by Lower Pickets Witch (1074), to the east and south by Hollands House and Hollands (580), and to the west by Andrews Field (1071).
Today Quarry Field forms part of the Yeovil College campus.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Hollands area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Quarry Field is just above Hollands House at lower right.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Quarry Field almost at centre - the slightly lighter-shaded, long rectangular field bounded on three sides by hedges and trees.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map.