lower carent's faRM


A small dairy farm in Yeovil Marsh


The Carent family held land in Marsh and Kingston during the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1406, William Carent left 12d (around £45 at today's value) to each priest in the church of Yeovil, and a cow for a lamp in the same. In 1589, the Carent family were concerned in the sale of land in Marsh, Yeovil and Pitney.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, four parcels of Lower Carent's Farm (1233, 1234, 1235 and 1236) were owned by Yeovil Almshouse while the remainder was owned by Charles John Helyar. The farm (as well as several other farms, including Carent's Farm) was let to William Symes of Yeovil Marsh.

William Symes (b1797, Dorset), his wife Maria and children Ann, Anna and William were listed in the 1841 census at Marsh, William giving his occupation as a farmer. By the time of the 1851 census, Ann had died and 54-year-old William was living at Marsh with 28-year-old Ann and 20-year-old William. He gave his occupation as 'Farmer of 250 acres Employing 8 men'.

During the summer of 1919 a number of small farms in Yeovil Marsh, including Lower Carent's Farm, at the time owned by the Messiter family, were sold by auction. At the time of the 1919 sale, the total acreage of Lower Carent's Farm was 70a 2r 29p and is shown shaded pink on the plan below.

The sale particulars described the farm as follows: "Lot 4 - The compact Dairy and Stock Farm known as Lower Carent's Farm, Yeovil Marsh, about 2 miles from the Market Town of Yeovil, comprising a comfortable Farm House substantially erected of Brick and Stone with slated roof, containing 4 Bedrooms, Cheese Room, Landing, 2 Staircases, Entrance Hall, Dining Room, Drawing Room, Dairy, Scullery with Iron Pump and Stone Sink, Kitchen, Back House and Wash House. Outside - Good Flower and Kitchen Gardens. The Water Supply is obtained from a well connected to the pump in the Scullery and is of excellent quality and never failing.

The Farm Buildings principally constructed of Stone, Timber, Tile and Thatch, comprise Cow Stall for 23 with Hay Store, Forebay and 2 Loose Pens, Wagon House, Cow Stall for 2, Calf Pen, Fodder Store, Trap House, Coal House, and Loose Box, large Barn with boarded floor, 2 division Corn Store and Loft over, 3 Stall Stable with Harness Room and Fowl House.

In the Yards are two good Ponds of Water. Adjoining the Homestead is a Healthy Orchard of over 3 acres, and two Enclosures of Fertile Arable. The remainder of the Holding comprises convenient sized closes of excellent Meadow and Pasture Land, well watered, and extremely well adapted for dairying and stock raising."



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.


Parcels of Lower Carents Farm

The following table lists the parcels of land comprising Lower Carent's Farm at the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment. As well as Lower Carent's Farm, William Symes farmed huge tracts of land to the immediate east.

Parcel Owner Tenant Parcel Name
1227 Charles John Helyar William Symes Home Mead
1228 Charles John Helyar William Symes House, Garden & Orchard
1229 Charles John Helyar William Symes Home Field
1232 Charles John Helyar William Symes Middle Mead
1233 Yeovil Almshouse William Symes Roy
1234 Yeovil Almshouse William Symes Roy
1235 Yeovil Almshouse William Symes Roy
1236 Yeovil Almshouse William Symes Roy
1237 Charles John Helyar William Symes Roy
1238 Charles John Helyar William Symes Waclouse





Lower Carent's Farm seen from the A37 Ilchester Road, just past the turning for Yeovil Marsh.


Notice of the sale of the Yeovil Marsh farms owned by the Messiter family from the 6 June 1919 edition of the Western Gazette. For Lower Carent's Farm's sale details, see the text above.