Middle Mead

Middle Mead

Lower Carent's Farm, Yeovil Marsh


Middle Mead (Parcel 1232) was a field of Lower Carent's Farm in Yeovil Marsh. A mead simply meant a meadow, derived from the Middle English mede.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Middle Mead was owned by Charles John Helyar. The farm (as well as several other farms) was let to William Symes of Yeovil Marsh. Middle Mead was listed as meadow for growing hay and measured 7a 3r 14p.

Middle Mead (Parcel 1232) was bounded on the east by Lower Mead (Parcel 1231), to the south by Home Field (Parcel 1229), to the west by Roy (Parcel 1233) and to the north by Parcel 252 in Chilthorne Domer parish - which was also part of Lower Carent's Farm.

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.