Lower Mead

Lower Mead

Lambert's Farm, Yeovil Marsh


Lower Mead (Parcel 1231) was a large field of Lambert's Farm (later called Poplars Farm) in Yeovil Marsh. The term 'mead' derives from the Old English maed. Before grass seeds were obtainable, this was the only hay land of the community and always consisted of land near streams since this was the only kind of land on which hay grew in any quantity.

At the time of the 1846 Tithe Apportionment, Lower Mead was owned by John James Lambert and the occupier was William Dibble. Lower Mead was recorded as meadow for growing hay and measured 12a 2r 20p.

Lower Mead (Parcel 1231) was bounded on the north by Chilthorne Domer parish, to the east by Lower Foxey (Parcel 1210), to the south by Summerleaze (Parcel 1230) and to the west by Middle Mead (Parcel 1232).

For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



At the time of the 1919 sale of the six Marsh farms, Lower Carent's Farm is shown in pink and Lambert's Farm is shown in green.