Built by, and named after, Peter Daniell
The draper and mercer Peter Daniell of Penn Hill owned a mansion in Middle Street that had been built by his father. This mansion stood where the rear of the WH Smith building bordering Wine Street stands today.
In the late 1820's or early 1830's he planned and built an extension to Grope Lane which became Union Street, then Bond Street to connect Middle Street with South Street and finally Peter Street, named after himself, to join Bond Street with Grope Lane / Union Street. The initials 'PL PD' and the date 1836 were formerly on one of the original houses in the street and the Town Commissioners' Minutes of 1835 refer to the "new street called Peter Street". However an indenture dated 7 November 1836, now in the Taunton Heritage Centre, refers to "Saint Peter's Street, leading from Wine Street to Bond Street" although other documents of the time refer only to Peter Street so this is probably a mistake.
Bidder's map of 1843 shows that the terrace of houses along the north side of Peter Street, shown in the second photograph in the Gallery below, as well as Trinity House on the south side, were built by this time.
As the Millennium Plaque shown above states, Thomas Hardy stayed in 7 Peter Street between March and May 1876 as he was preparing to write 'The Return of the Native'. The northern terrace, photographed below, was demolished in the 1970's and the site is now a car park. The Peter Street plaque is set, somewhat ignominiously, very low down on a dwarf wall by the car park exit.
Further along, on the south side, is Trinity House - a nice example of domestic Regency architecture - and next to Trinity House is the Church of the Holy Trinity erected by Benjamin Ferrey, the diocesan architect, in 1846.
Map of 1813 drawn to show the properties owned by the Corporation (shaded black on the map) but clearly shows Grope Lane connecting the Borough with South Street and also shows the extensive lands owned by Peter Daniell.
Map based on the 1901 Ordnance Survey. Originally Wine Street ran all the way to South Street as Union Street only came into existence in the 1830's and it wasn't until the 1870's that the southern half of Wine Street was renamed Union Street.
Courtesy of Rob Baker
Peter Street blocked by 'The Great Snow' of 1881. This photograph was almost certainly taken by Henry Stiby who was a keen amateur photographer and left a good record of photographs of Yeovil - he lived in the house seen at extreme left, on the corner of Peter Street and Union Street, at the time.
Photographed around 1965, Peter Street runs off to the left and Bond Street to the right. The corner house is now the shop Sports of Bond Street.
The north side of Peter Street photographed in 1968. All these houses except that at extreme left (see photograph after next) were demolished and the area is now a car park.
Peter Street photographed in the 1980s from the Union Street (western) end.
The only surviving houses on the north side of Peter Street. This pair of houses probably dates to the mid-1830's when the road was first laid out. That at left was the home of Henry Stiby, later Mayor of Yeovil, and his mother during the 1870s and 1880s. Photographed 2013.