Higher Pear Tree Close

Higher Pear Tree Close

A field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh


Higher Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1132), was a large field of Pear Tree Farm in Yeovil Marsh.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment recorded that Higher Pear Tree Close was owned by Reverend John Jenkins Mathews and let to James Pope. Mathews owned several more parcels in the area and Pope farmed them all. Pear Tree Plot was recorded as pasture for grazing livestock and measured 12a 3r 2p.

George Abbott (1816-1858) was recorded in the 1851 census as the tenant farmer. He died in 1858, and in 1861 his widow Mary Ann was recorded as the "farmeress" of Pear Tree Farm.

Pear Tree Farm, including Higher Pear Tree Close, was sold in 1889 to Mr T Moore, of Yeovil, the son of Yeovil solicitor Thomas Moore. The tenant at this time was George Cole. However, in January 1893 he retired. The following tenant was J Rowsell and his wife Martha. In 1908 the tenant farmer was a Mr Mead.

Higher Pear Tree Close (Parcel 1132) was bounded on the north by Mead (Parcel 1133), to the east was the parish of Preston Plucknett (detached), to the south it was bounded by Higher Great Long Croft (Parcel 1118) and Yonder Great Long Croft (Parcel 1120) and to the west by Hanging Orchard (Parcel 1121).


For details on historic land measurement (ie acres, roods and perches) click here.



Each farm has (or will have) its own page - click here.
Each Parcel of land has (or will have) its own page - click here.