higher Nobles Nap
higher nobles nap
An ancient field of the great Manor of Kingston's Middle Field
It has been suggested (Goodchild) that the name Nobles Nap may have originated with reference to the annual rent of a Noble; current in England until the seventeenth century as a gold coin worth one third of a pound, or six shillings and eight pence. This would seem to make the rent inordinately expensive but, not only that, in 1743 the field in question was known as Chaplins Nap. It is therefore more likely that the name refers to a later owner called Noble. The 'nap' part comes from the Old English hnaep, for rising ground or the crest of a hill as, for instance, at Goar Knap.
Nobles Nap was originally one large field spanning both sides of Combe Street Lane and was originally part of the great Middle Field of Kingston Manor. It was later subdivided into five fields north of Combe Street Lane and three to the south. Those to the south falling in this section being Nobles Nap (1401), Higher Nobles Nap (1096) and Lower Nobles Nap (1085).
Higher Nobles Nap (1096) was bounded on the north by Combe Street Lane, to the west by Marsh Lane, on the east by Higher Elm Path (1094) and Lower Nobles Nap (1085) to the south, with a link in its southeast corner to Middle Elm Path (1086),
The 1842 Tithe Map and the 1846 Tithe Award recorded Nobles Nap as being 6a 3r 0p and noted as pasture.
Today the former field known as Higher Nobles Nap is completely filled with housing of Winston Drive, Combe Street Lane and Marsh Lane.
This map, based on the descriptions in the 1589 Terrier and the 1846 Tithe Map of Yeovil shows the approximate boundaries of the Manors of Kingston and Hendford as well as the manorial three-field system used in Kingston.
The Hollands area reproduced from the 1842 Tithe Map. Higher Nobles Nap is top centre.
The 1946 aerial photograph showing Higher Nobles Nap at centre left with houses of Marsh Lane occupying the western edge and Combe Street Lane along the northern part.
The 1842 Tithe Map superimposed over a modern map.