yeovil Timeline

Yeovil timeline

Events that have shaped our town

 

Old Stone Age

Implements of 800,000 to 45,000 BC found where Glovers Walk is today

Neolithic

Stone axe head of c4,000 to c2,500 BC found near the Hundredstone

Bronze Age

The famous gold torc, found in 1909, was dated to c2,000 to 600 BC

Roman Period

Several finds dating to the Roman Period have been found in Yeovil

Saxon Period

Several finds dating to the Saxon Period have been found in Yeovil

1066

Saxon Lords Aelfstan and Alward are replaced by Normans

1086

Norman Lords Hugh Maltravers and Robert of Mortain control Yeovil

Post-Conquest

What will become today's Yeovil is divided into Manors and Tithings

1205

Under a charter of King John, the Burgesses of Yeovil gained a market

c1305

The original 'Tenement' had become the Borough of Yeovil

1334

Advowson of St John's separated from the Manor of Hendford

1348-49

Black Death devastates Yeovil

1349

Riot in Yeovil over market rights, Bishop attacked in St John's church

1380-1400

The Church of St John the Baptist, Yeovil's parish church, built

1420

Henry V grants Rectory and Lordship of Yeovil to Convent of Syon

1420

John Green claimed sanctuary for killing John Raleigh with a sword

1421

A Royal Grant confirms Yeovil's markets and fairs

1449

The 'Great Fire of Yeovil'

1476, Nov 9

Woborn Almshouse founded by Letters Patent of Edward IV

1499

A serious fire rages through Yeovil destroying many buildings

1517

Earliest mention of the Mermaid, Yeovil's oldest surviving licensed premises

1534

Henry VIII granted the borough and church of Yeovil to Catherine Parr

1538

Sir John Horsey buys Lordship and parsonage of Yeovil for £45 a year

1540

Antiquary John Leland visits Yeovil calling it a "good market town"

1547

The Chantry, attached to St Johns, first recorded as being used as a school

1611

Sir Edward Phelips of Montacute House buys the Lordship of Yeovil

1618

Only nine licensed premises allowed in town, the rest to be 'suppressed'

1620

Another serious fire rages through Yeovil destroying many buildings

1640, Jul 28

Another "Great Fire of Yeovil" awarded a "Protection" by Charles I

1642

Start of the English Civil War

1642, Sep 7

Battle of Babylon Hill

1643

More Yeovil properties destroyed by a large fire

1645

Plague and typhus were prevalent "Very bad at Yeovil and East Coker".

1651

End of the English Civil War

1664

First record indicates that the Three Choughs was operating at this time

1664

Traveller staying at the Three Cups brings the plague to Yeovil

1668

Portreeve issues halfpenny token due to shortage of small change

1668

First meetings of Nonconformists in a barn on site of Baptist chapel

1685

The Monmouth Rebellion

1685

The 'Bloody Assizes' held by Judge Jefferies (allegedly) in the Mermaid

1685

Eight men executed in Yeovil for taking part in Monmouth Rebellion

1689

Friends Burial Ground opens in Preston Road

1704

Unitarian Chapel founded in Vicarage Street

1709

Yeovil Charity School, aka the Charity Grammar School, opens

c1730

Old Sarum House built in Princes Street

1734

A 'hurricane' breaks windows in St John's church

1740

The Market House in the Borough is built by Lady Elizabeth Phelips

c1740

Hendford Manor built for Rev James Hooper

1741

Robert Harbin builds the Summer House on Summerhouse Hill

1744, Jul 30

First issue of "The Western Flying Post, or Yeovil Mercury"

1753

Turnpike Commissioners appointed for "repairing and widening the roads"

c1774

Yeovil Old Bank, a private bank, established by Samuel Daniel

1776

Hendford House (now Manor Hotel) built

1780

Part of the Tolle Hall in the Borough falls down

1790

William Edward's ironmongery shop built in the Borough (today's Superdrug)

1801

In the first census, the population of Yeovil is 2,800

1803

George Watts builds the Butcher's Shambles in the Borough

1807

The 'Gloving Donkey' invented that revolutionises the gloving industry

1808

A branch of Whitmash & White's Bank opens in Hendford

c1810

Yeovil Bank, a private bank, established by Samuel Watts the Elder

1812, Feb 13

Yeovil's second Post Office opens in Silver Street, run by Robert Jennings

1818, Mar 11

The Deposit Bank, first savings bank in Yeovil, opens next to the Choughs

1821

Population of Yeovil reaches 5,590

1830

The boundaries of the Borough of Yeovil are extended

1831

Population of Yeovil reaches 6,911

1831, Oct 21

The Yeovil Reform Riot - the Riot Act is read and the troops called out

1833

Town Gas Works open off Middle Street

1836, May 13

Yeovil Poor Law Union formed

1836

25 High Street (Denner's, now Beales, main building) built

1837, Aug 16

First Nonconformist marriage takes place in Yeovil

1837

Yeovil Union Workhouse opens

1838

Deposit Bank moves to High Street - the building is still there

c1840

Osborne House built in Townsend

1846, Apr 15

Yeovil's first National Day School opens in Huish

1846, Oct 28

Consecration of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Peter Street

1840s

John Aldridge starts the Kingston School

1841

Population of Yeovil reaches 8,089

1843

Manslaughter Trial of William Crocker following a fight in the Running Horse

1846

William Phelips sells Lordship of Yeovil to George Harbin

1846

National Day School, the first of its kind in the area, opens in Huish

1848

Charles Pittard starts his leather dressing warehouse in Middle Street

1848

Cholera epidemic hits Yeovil

1849

The Shambles and the Market House in the Borough are demolished

1849, Jun 19

New Town Hall in High Street opens with market stalls on its ground floor

1849

Town House opens as a Police Station

1851

Population of Yeovil reaches 7,751

1851, Dec

Board of Health holds Public Enquiry following cholera outbreak in 1848

1852

The Rammell Report is a scathing attack on Yeovil's sanitary conditions

1853, Oct 1

Yeovil Branch of the Bristol and Exeter Railway opens at Hendford terminus

1854

Yeovil becomes a Municipal Borough

1854

John Ryall Mayo becomes Yeovil's first Mayor

1854

The boundaries of the Borough of Yeovil are extended again

1857

Railway extended through Yeovil to connect with Pen Mill

1858, Mar

Yeovil's first hospital, the General Dispensary, opened

1860

South Street school opens, Yeovil's second National Day School

1860

Salisbury and Exeter line opens a station at Yeovil Junction

1860

Woborn Almshouse rebuilt in Union Street

1860

Yeovil Town Railway Station opens

1860

Hendford becomes a halt

1861

Salisbury and Exeter line extends to Hendford and new Town Station

1861

Population of Yeovil reaches 9,200

1863, Feb 21

First issue of Western Gazette by Charles Clinker

1863

Disastrous fire sweeps through the town

1863, Oct

Robert Colmer put on trial for Manslaughter

1864

Giuseppe Garibaldi (1807-1882) visits Yeovil

1864

The Town Hall finally gets a clock in a short tower

1864

A goods line connects Yeovil Junction with Pen Mill

1865

Formation of Yeovil & County Cricket Club

1868

Market stalls removed from Town Hall and replaced by shops

1871

Population of Yeovil reaches 9,800

1872, Jan

Yeovil's first 'proper' hospital, Fiveways Hospital, opens

1872

Smallpox epidemic hits Yeovil

1875

Reckleford Board School opens

1876

Yeovil's Post Office moves from Silver Street to Princes Street

1880, Apr

Robert Colmer and Jane Colmer put on trial for Murder

1881

James B Petter designs a modern and efficient fire grate - the 'Nautilus'

1881

Population of Yeovil reaches 10,425

1885, Oct

Corporation Baths open in Huish

1887

Town Hall clock tower taken down as unsafe

1889

Yeovil Men's Swimming Club formed

1889

Assembly Rooms open in Princes Street

1889

Victoria Temperance Hall opens in South Street

1889, Jun 22

Yeovil & District Co-operative Society registered

1890

Ayr House in Hendford built as Manse for the Baptist Minister

1891

Henry Cobb starts the Yeovil High School for Girls

1891

Miss KM Chaffey opens Yeovil's first public library "Everybody's Library"

1891

Population of Yeovil reaches 13,448

1892

Ernest & Percy Petter design and produce a self-propelled oil engine

1895

Petters produce the first UK motor car with an internal combustion engine

1895

Isolation Hospital built off Lyde Road for smallpox victims

1895

Pen Mill Board School opens

1896

First public showing of a film in Yeovil, at the Assembly Rooms

1897

St Michael & All Angels church opens in Brickyard Lane

c1900

Aplin & Barrett's Western Counties Creamery opens in Newton Road

1902, Jun

Litunga Lewanika, King of Barotseland (1878-1916), visits Yeovil

1902

Yeovil's Post Office moves from Princes Street to Middle Street

1903

Convent of the Sisters of St Gildas-des-Bois founded in Yeovil

1904

The boundaries of the Borough of Yeovil are extended again

1905

Kingston School renamed Yeovil County School

1906

New Western Gazette office and printing works opens

1908, May 13

Yeovil Ladies' Swimming Club formed

1908

St Michael's Hall opens

1910

Portreeve's Almshouse in South Street burns down

1910

Corporation Almshouse (now Dorcas House) built to replace above

1911

New clock tower installed on Town Hall

1912, Jan

Yeovil's first fifty council houses officially open in New Town

1912

Central Auction Rooms, Church Street, starts showing films

1912, Aug 11

Disastrous fire sweeps through part of the factory of Aplin & Barrett

1912, Oct 21

Official opening of the Newnam Memorial Hall in South Street

1914

Westland Aircraft Works founded by Petters Ltd

1914, Jul 28

Start of First World War

1914

Yeovil recruits enlist

1915

Central Auction Rooms renamed the Cosy Corner

1915-1919

Newnam Memorial Hall becomes a Red Cross Hospital for servicemen

1916

Hoard of Roman coins discovered by workmen south of Westland Road

1916

The Cosy Corner renamed the Central Cinema

1918, Nov 11

End of First World War

1920

The town's library opens in the Victoria Hall

1921

Population of Yeovil reaches 14,994

1921, Jul 14

War Memorial unveiled in the Borough

1922, Jul 19

Yeovil General Hospital opened in Kingston by HRH the Prince of Wales

1923

Percy Petter designs and patents the Petometer, an early calculator

1924

The Castle Inn, in part a 13th century building, was demolished

1925

Experimental Nissen-Petren Prototype Housing built in Goldcroft

1925

Yeovil County School renamed The Yeovil School

1925

WRE Mitchelmore undertakes first excavation of Westland Roman Villa

1927-28

CA Raleigh Radford excavates Westland Villa complex

1928

Municipal Offices, Museum and Library open in King George Street

1928

The boundaries of the Borough of Yeovil are extended again

1930, May 24/25

Fire destroys the Central Cinema

1931, Jun

Mudford Road Playing Fields, aka Mudford Rec, opened

1932, Jan

Grand re-opening of the rebuilt Central Cinema

1932

Yeovil's Post Office moves from Princes Street to King George Street

1932, May 2

Hendford Halt opens for train passengers

1935

First County cricket match at Yeovil's Somerset County Cricket Ground

1935, Sep 22

Town Hall burns to the ground

1937, May 8

The Odeon Cinema opens in Court Ash

1938

Law Courts open in Petters Way as part of proposed civic centre complex

1938

Police Station moves from the Town House to the Law Courts

1939

Zeppelin taking aerial reconnaissance photographs seen over Yeovil

1939, Sep 3

Start of Second World War

1939, Sep

4,410 evacuees from London arrive in Yeovil

1940, May 14

Formation of the Local Defence Volunteers, later re-named the Home Guard

1940, Oct 7

First of the ten air raids on Yeovil

1941, Apr 11

The Medical Hall in the Borough destroyed by a German bomb

1945, May 8

VE Day, end of the Second World War in Europe

1845, Aug 15

VJ Day, Japan surrenders effectively ending the Second World War

1946

150 'prefabs' built as temporary post-war housing in Larkhill Road

1957

Town Gas Works closes

1961, Sep

Long-distance trains from Pen Mill cease

1962

15th century George Inn demolished

1962

Reckleford Fire Station opens

1963

Yeovil College opens

1964, Jun 15

Hendford Halt closes, along with the railway line to Taunton

1964, Aug 8

Central Cinema finally closes

1964, Oct 2

Yeovil Town Station closes

1965

Museum of South Somerset opens

1968, May 5

Rail service between Yeovil Junction and Pen Mill withdrawn

1969

Maltravers House built

1971

The Calvinist Tabernacle demolished in Tabernacle Lane

1973

Summerlands Hospital opens on the old workhouse site in Preston Road

1973, Oct 15

Yeovil District Hospital officially opened by HRH the Duchess of Kent

1974, Sep

Yeovil Borough Council replaced by Yeovil District Council

1974

Johnson Hall opens

1976

The Yeovil premises of Aplin & Barrett closes

1982

Yeovil Town Council takes over functions of Charter Trustees

1986

New library opens in King George Street

1989, April

Last of Yeovil's glove manufacturing companies, Freke & Gifford, closes

2001

Population of Yeovil reaches 41,071

 

This list will occasionally be updated