Spring Exhibition 2023

Spring Exhibition 2023 - presented by Yeovil's Virtual Museum

A View of Yeovil

A focus on Yeovil's heritage of architecture and early streetscapes,
in partnership with the Arts & Heritage Working Group's "Story of Yeovil" project.




In partnership with the Arts & Heritage Working Party's "Story of Yeovil" project, this is an exhibition in two parts.

Part One
The first part of this "View of Yeovil" exhibition portrays Yeovil's architectural heritage through the town's oldest surviving buildings, from oldest to around 1850, with a brief description of each. Many of the featured buildings are walked past regularly without a second thought as to their age or history - the modern shop fronts in many cases misrepresent their inherent antiquity. Hopefully, this first part of the exhibition will rectify any misinterpretation.

Clicking on the building's name will lead to the individual page in Yeovil's Virtual Museum for that building, with full details and more photographs.

Part Two
Self explanatory and with little comment, the second part of this exhibition is a View of Yeovil "Then and Now", featuring  views of Yeovil's main streets as they used to look (top) with dates, and as they appear now (bottom).




Part One - Yeovil's Architectural Heritage




St John's church
c1380 - c1400
of course it's Yeovil's oldest surviving building

The earliest church on this site was recorded around 950 although this was most likely rebuilt by the Normans. The church was completely rebuilt once again between 1380 and about 1400 and this is the church we see today. It is an early example of fully developed Perpendicular with the tracery of the Reticulated Transitional Perpendicular architectural style.

The parish church of St John the Baptist has long been known as "the Lantern of the West" because of the superb windows which admit such a flood of light. The southern aspect of the church is its most striking and includes the massive tower, the seven large and graceful traceried windows of the south aisle and transept as well as the lofty pinnacles and parapets. It is built of Yeovil stone (a local limestone) with Ham stone dressings under lead roofs. Of cruciform plan it comprises a south porch, four-bay nave, crossing, two-bay choir with the crypt below, one-bay sanctuary, north and south aisles to both nave and choir, north and south transepts, north-east vestry (added in the nineteenth century) and a western tower of four stages.



The Chantry
14th century
Church Path - albeit completely rebuilt 1855

The Chantry, probably early 14th century and most likely associated with an earlier church, was known as the Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin without the Church and was next to the tower of St John's church.

The chapel was converted into a school-house in 1573 and was used as a Charity Grammar School for boys. In 1854, the Chantry was demolished in order to increase the churchyard space for burials.

It was rebuilt in 1855, in its present position opposite the west door of St John's and next to the original St John the Baptist Schoolrooms and used in conjunction with them. However the present building is more of a representation of the former chapel than a stone-by-stone rebuilding and much of what we see today, the doorway and all the windows for instance, date from the time of the reconstruction.


Preston Great Farm
c1413 - c1422
Commonly (but mistakenly) known as Abbey Farm

Preston Great Farm, or Preston Higher Farm, commonly known as Abbey Farm, was the manor house of Preston Plucknett. It was never an ecclesiastical building but the mistake was made by Lady Georgiana Fane when she inherited the property in 1841 and has been perpetuated to this day. The house is built in Ham stone and is Grade 1 listed. It is believed to have been built by John Stourton during the reign of Henry V (1413-22).

Lady Georgiana Fane inherited the estate, together with half of Prince Edward Island in Canada, which she inspected personally. A very close friend of the Duke of Wellington, she had strong, if wrong, opinions about Preston. Convinced that her lands had once been monastic property she considered she should not pay tithes on the estate. First she changed the farm's name to Abbey Farm, since, she said, if it had not belonged to the Bermondsey Priory then it had been owned by the Convent of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Bridget of Syon, Middlesex, since this House had held the Rectorship of Yeovil (with Preston) from 1418 to 1545. She started proceedings against the Tithe Commissioners to prove her point. She spent a fortune on lawyer's fees and after five years lost the case. The Farm had never been Abbey property, but the name has survived.



Preston Tithe Barn
c1413 - c1422
reston Plucknett

The great tithe barn, is one of the longest in Somerset - at 31.4 m (103 ft). It was built in Ham stone and is a Grade 1 listed building today. It is also thought to have been built by John Stourton during the reign of Henry V (1413-22).

The barn is of local stone, squared and tooled, with stone tiled roof set between coped gables. It is of ten bays, marked by double offset buttresses and projecting porches to the north and south flanks.



St James' church
reston Plucknett

St James' church in Preston Plucknett was most likely built around 1420 by John Stourton the younger (also known as Jenkyn) son of  John Stourton the the elder, who he succeeded as Lord of the Manor.

Indeed, no place of worship had existed in the area since the Monk's chapel in Preston Bermondsey had become ruinous some years before.

St James' three-stage tower, with its Perpendicular west window, was added soon afterwards. The tower rises some 60 feet (18.3m) and has diagonal buttresses and a ring of six bells. Extensive, heavy restoration was carried out in the 1860s when much of the walls were rebuilt, albeit in the same style, and the church was re-roofed. At the same time the south porch was removed and replaced with the present door surround. Most of this Victorian work was removed in the 1950s. Part of the shaft of a churchyard cross still stands in the churchyard, with the cross itself preserved in the church.



Mermaid Hotel
flourished in 1517

The oldest surviving licensed premises in Yeovil (until it permanently closed in 2019), despite an overabundance of competition. The earliest mention in the records being 1517. This colourised photograph dates to around 1910.

Originally, of course, the Mermaid was much smaller than it is today, being only that part from the arch and to the east (at right in this photo); that part now 1a and 1b High Street to the west of the arch was originally built as a single town house in the late eighteenth century.

Having said that, in 1769 when Samuel Lloyd took over the establishment from George Gast it was noted ".... the whole House (except two Rooms in Front) with the Assembly Room, Stables, and all other Offices, have been built from the Ground by Mr Gast within these ten Years..."



16th century, 17th century alterations
Preston Road

Glencote, now known as the Old House, is a rare survivor of what was once typical of the domestic houses of Yeovil. It is thought to have sixteenth-century origins albeit with major alterations during the seventeenth-century.

Thought to originally have been a Somerset-plan cottage of three rooms in line, with cross passage, it was reduced in length in the seventeenth-century and a coach house was incorporated with the house in the nineteenth-century.



Newton Surmaville House
1608 - 1612
Home of the Harbin family for 399 years

A prosperous and wealthy mercer, Robert Harbin (1526-1621) began acquiring a number of small properties in Dorset and Somerset. His final purchase was in 1608 when he purchased an estate from Joseph Compton. The estate, to the southeast of Yeovil, was known as Newton Surmaville, named for a French family, the de Salmonvilles, from a small village near Rouen, who first built a mediaeval house on the site where the current house now stands.

Robert Harbin and his eldest son, John (1560-1638), commissioned the building of a new grand country house at Newton, which was completed around 1612. Robert and his son John moved into Harbin Castle, later called Newton Surmaville House. The house remained in the Harbin family for 399 years, through more than ten successive generations. Following the death of Sophie Rawlins (née Sophie Wyndham Bates Harbin), Newton Surmaville House was sold in 2007 - for the first time in its history.



Three Choughs Hotel
flourished in 1664
extension dates from 1724, re-fronted 1845

The records clearly indicate that the Three Choughs was operating by 1664. However, it appears that the third floor was added to the main building, possibly before the extension in South Street was added in 1774.

The building, as well as other licensed premises (the Pall Tavern and the George Inn), was at one time owned by the Woborn Almshouse and the rent of the building provided income for the Almshouse.

During the 1850’s a daily stagecoach service, the 'Royal Mail', ran to Dorchester and Taunton from the Three Choughs. Until the 1960's the Three Choughs had stabling and garaging for customers horses and cars on the opposite corner, between Hendford and West Hendford.



Glovers' Arms
17th century
Former Farmhouse

The former Glovers Arms in Reckleford was originally a 17th century farmhouse at the bottom of Reckleford Hill. It was the home of the Isaac family until the death of Yeoman Samuel Isaac in 1849. The building had certainly been a pub since the 1850’s, and was given its name after the demise of the first Glovers Arms in Brunswick Street.

At one time the buildings attached to it were part of a small glove-making factory and certainly two former landlords, James Allen and William Tucker, were glovers as well as licensees. These buildings were later converted to cottages and have recently been completely refurbished.



John Old's House
17th century
A residence 'modernised' in 1714

The building known as "John Old's House" in Princes Street is a 17th century residence 'modernised' in the year 1714 by Yeovil mercer John Old the Younger - his initials "IO" and the date 1714 are on a lead rainwater head on the side of the house.

In the gable is a blocked 17th century window with a hood moulding. John Old the Elder (d 1710) was a Yeovil mercer and was churchwarden in 1676.

His son, John Old the younger, also a Yeovil mercer, was Custos and later Warden of Woborn Almshouse. His 'modernising' of the house included replacing the thatched roof with tiles and casement windows with sash windows.

The house was later acquired by Thomas Cave, who had established a brewery behind the house by 1825. He later went into partnership with Joseph Brutton and the brewery continued on both sides of Clarence Street until the 1970's.



44 Princes Street
17th century
Small Town House

One of the oldest buildings in this area, yet seemingly insignificant in today's street scene, 44 Princes Street was originally a small seventeenth-century town house.

It is built in red Yeovil brick, now colour-washed, under a plain clay tiled roof, which almost certainly would have originally been thatched.

Although the ground floor of the elevation is now obscured by a modern shop front, the surviving original features of the elevation are the two first floor windows which are mullioned two-light windows in a transitional style between Tudor chamfered and Georgian. From about 1832 it was the home and law practice of Edwin Tomkins until his death in 1861.  



circa 1730
Formerly an elegant 18th century town house

Bryndene, Princes Street, is a fine Grade II town house dating to about 1730. It is of 3 stories with 3 bays and has a ham stone ashlar facade under a shallow pitched Welsh slated roof behind a parapet. The fine doorway has stone fluted Tuscan pilasters, triglyphs and paterae to the entablature and a broken segmental pediment.

The ground floor has modern shop fronts to either side of the entrance but the 1st floor windows are of 12 pane sashes set in stone architraves, with a band course dividing similar 9-paned windows above. The building was the home of the Fooks family, glove manufacturers of Yeovil, certainly from about 1806. Since at least 1935 the building has been a dental surgery.. 



Old Sarum House
circa 1730
Formerly an elegant 18th century town house

Today it is in Princes Street, but when it was built, Old Sarum House was the last house in Hendford.

The western side of today's Princes Street, from Westminster Street all the way to Park Road, had once been in the Manor of Hendford and consequently this section of the western side of the road was considered to be Hendford until the middle of the nineteenth century.

Old Sarum House is a fine, large three-storey house built in poor local limestone which has worn badly with Ham stone dressings. It was built about 1730 by Samuel Dampier senior (d1744), a wealthy clothier. Seen here in its guise as a Prezzo restaurant, it is now a dental surgery.



Osborne House
circa 1730
Built in the Regency Style

Originally known as Penfield House or Penn Field, since it was built in the corner of the field called Pen Field, Osborne House was built in the Regency style but slightly later, around 1830 (it is shown on Watts' map of 1831).

It is of two storeys and three bays with a modern roughcast render finish under a hipped Welsh slated roof with wide soffits. It has a fine central projecting porch, set on five steps, with fluted Ionic columns and attached columns supporting a full entablature.

The first owner was glove manufacturer Charles Fone. By 1871 Osborne House was owned by Earle Vincent, owner of the Royal Osborne Brewery which was located alongside Osborne House. Osborne House is now a dental surgery while the site of the former brewery is now the adjacent car park.



Hendford Manor
circa 1740
fine town house, later much extended

Hendford Manor, halfway along the eastern side of Hendford, was originally built about 1740 for Rev. James Hooper, a Yeovil solicitor. It is a fine town house of Ham stone ashlar with a Welsh slate roof between coped gables, of two storeys with an attic and basement. The original house, of seven bays, had a balustraded parapet.

About 1820 two flanking wings with Venetian windows were added, linked together some twenty years later by extra rooms at the rear, forming a small central courtyard. In the 1840s, a plain north wing of cut and squared local stone with eight rooms was added, together with a large dining room on the south side. The ornate porch was added around 1900.

Hendford Manor was one of the properties attacked and damaged by the mob of hundreds of protesters in the Yeovil Reform Riot of Friday, 21 October 1831.



The Summer House
circa 1740
giving its name to Summerhouse Hill


The Summer House, also known as the Round House, is attributed to Swayne Harbin, who inherited his father's property, Newton Surmaville, in 1741. It is a fine example of 'folly' architecture, and commands a fine prospect northwards over Yeovil.

In its heyday it was used by the Squire of Newton when he was entertaining his friends on fine summer afternoons. There were originally three of these follies, but the other two have now almost disappeared: one was built by Mr Phelips, of Montacute, and the other by Mr Goodford, of Chilton Cantello. Each one could be seen from the other two, and tradition has it that when a flag was flown from one, the owners of the others would gallop over for a convivial evening.



46 and 48 Princes Street
circa 1750
an 18th-century Town House

This former Town House in Princes Street, now split into two shop premises, was built around 1750 and is the second-oldest building in the area - its next-door neighbour being the oldest (see above). Again, behind the colour wash and modern shop frontages, it is possible to visualise the former fine house of red Yeovil bricks with complementary golden Ham stone dressings under a clay tiled roof. 



The Green Room
fl 1766
an 18th-century inn

A very old Wine Street building, still retaining its 16th century cellar, this was a pub trading at least since 1766. Originally known as the Queen's Head, it changed to the Queens Arms around 1840. By 1866, it was known as the Royal Oak. During the late 20th century it was renamed the Hole In The Wall and became a restaurant called the Green Room circa 2005.



Church House
circa 1765
Yeovil's finest remaining Town House

Church House in Church Street, facing St John’s church, dates to about 1765.  It is built of stone with a frontage in Yeovil red bricks and Ham stone dressings, cornice and parapet. It was probably built by Nathaniel Butler Batten, founder of the Batten family of Yeovil solicitors and the house has played a prominent part in the town's legal affairs, indeed the Town Courts were held in the north annex until the middle of the twentieth century



Hendford House
Built 1776
Now the Manor Hotel

The Manor Hotel in Hendford, with its fine Georgian five-bay Ham stone elevation and recessed five-bay stable block, was built in 1776 and was originally the private house, known as Hendford House, of local glover John Daniell the Elder. The Daniell family came from East Coker and John later became a merchant banker setting up what became eventually known as Yeovil Old Bank. Hendford House became a licensed hotel in 1927.



Former King's Arms
circa 1780

The Kings Arms Inn stood for many years in Silver Street but had been known as the Bunch of Grapes and the Grapes Inn and even into the 1940's had, as a sign, a bunch of grapes suspended from a wrought iron bracket. It is most likely that this public house traded as the Bunch of Grapes until about 1855.

A major fire in 1835 destroyed the building along with several other premises.

Following the fire all the premises from the Kings Arms to the Pall Tavern were rebuilt further back from the road so that Silver Street could be widened thereby easing congestion in the centre of the town.



15 High Street
Today's Superdrug building

William Edwards had been in business in the Borough at least as early as 1771 and built new premises in the Borough in 1790, when he was listed as an ironmonger and cutler in the Universal British Directory. It is the oldest building in the Borough today. In 1827 Josiah Hannam (1796-1874), also an ironmonger, moved into the building.

Hannam & Gillett's business was bought in 1865 by John Petter (1821-1898) of Barnstaple, Devon, who gave it to his son James Bazeley Petter (1847-1906) as a wedding present. By 1911 the business was formed into a company under the name of Hill, Sawtell & Co, in which the Petter family held the principal interest. Harry Hill (1865-1947) and John Sawtell (1881-1965) had both worked for Petter. In the late 1970s or early 1980s, 15 High Street was occupied by the SMS Drug Store and since the 1990s has been the premises of Superdrug.




Former Cottage Café
18th century
Former small town house

Many Yeovilians have fond memories of the Cottage Café in Hendford, on the corner with Waterloo Lane. The building itself is eighteenth century and built as a small town house. Of two storeys, it is built with local stone under a tiled roof. At first floor two windows retain their glazing bars and give a good indication of what the building originally looked like. The mock-Georgian shop front is modern.

In 1790, the occupant of the building was Henry Whitmash, a London carrier.

 By 1850, Jonathan Crocker was advertising his service "late Whitmash & Co" to London, Bristol, Taunton, Exeter and "all parts of the West". By 1851 the premises, owned by the Three Choughs Hotel opposite, had been divided into two (Nos 71 & 72 Hendford), with the right-hand part being the 'tap' of the Three Choughs Hotel known as the Chough's Tap.

In 1928 William Frederick Banfield opened the Cottage Café. With kitchens on both floors, the ground floor had a cafe as well as a shop, while upstairs the dining room ran across both 71 and 72. The dining room was later partitioned when Modelkits started. The café was later run by his son Eric, while Modelkits of the 1970s and 80s was run by his grandson Bob, late verger at St John's church. The Cottage Café closed in 1972 and Modelkits was sold in 1993.



Mansion House
Late 18th century
Former town house

The Mansion House, Princes Street is a town house built in the late eighteenth century by banker John Hutchings. The main house is of cut and squared local stone with Ham stone dressings under a Welsh slated roof behind a low parapet and between coped gables. It has a two-storey facade of three-bays, the entrance being in the right-hand bay. The door surround has attached Roman Doric unfluted columns supporting a plain entablature, which flanks a keyed semi-circular arched doorway.

Edward Genge ran a school in Mansion House, but he died in 1825 at the early age of 25. George Rossiter carried on the school when he married Genge's widow, Grace in 1826. In Pigot's Directory of 1830, George Rossiter's "Gentleman's Boarding Academy" was listed at Mansion House. In October 1931, during the Yeovil Reform Riot, several windows were smashed as the rioting mob passed by the Mansion House. There followed a succession of different occupiers. It is now occupied by Battens solicitors.



1 & 3 Princes Street
18th century
Former town house

Although there has undoubtedly been a building on this site for centuries, due to later remodelling, the date of the present building is difficult to ascertain. The earliest known occupier of the site was a saddler, John Reeks (died pre-1759) and his family during the early eighteenth century. However, it transpires that the present building was built by Yeovil solicitor Samuel Watts the Elder (1734-1820).

His son, Joseph Watts, is known to have 'modernised' the building in the then-fashionable Regency style, prior to his leaving Yeovil in 1812. Assuming he carried out the alterations around 1810, this would have meant that the building was then some fifty years old and therefore a fashionable facelift would not have been unreasonable.

The building itself is a three storey, three bay stucco corner block with wide eaves and paired brackets. Fenestration is mostly two-light sashes with stone architraves and keystones. The central first floor 'Venetian' window is of note, although it has been ruined by the partial removal of the glazing bars.



40 and 42 Princes Street
18th century
Former town house

Today's Grade II Listed 40 and 42 Princes Street, was originally a small eighteenth century town house and still discernible behind the modern ground floor shop fronts and garish signage. In earlier times its red Yeovil brick frontage with golden Ham stone dressings would have given it the appearance of a fine residence, albeit somewhat less grand than its neighbours on the opposite side of the street.

The former town house is of colour-washed Yeovil bricks with stone dressings, under a Welsh slated roof between coped gables. The first floor windows all have gauged brick flat arches with keystones. It has rusticated quoins and a stone cornice, with parapet over, rendered and divided up into small square panels.

During the late 1970s / early 1980s, No 42 was Thorne's hairdresser and tobacconist and 40 was the WI Market. Later both would become the premises of Ceres wholefood bakery, then the Mad Hatter in 42 and Ceres in 40 and today both are the Mad Hatter.



Quicksilver Mail
18th century

It is not known when the inn, at the summit of Hendford Hill, was built but it is most likely late eighteenth century and it is shown on the 1811 Ordnance Survey map. It was certainly an inn by around 1828 since a Notice of Let, published in 1848, stated that the Quicksilver Mail was "now and for nearly 20 years past in the occupation of Mr Thomas Bullen". The building was originally 3-storeys high, but the lowest storey was buried by raising the road level.

As a staging post for coaches, the Quicksilver Mail maintained stables at the foot of Hendford Hill in order to assist with the long, hard pull to the top of the hill by adding another trace of horses, which was even more difficult before the inclines were levelled and a more direct ascent constructed. The stables still survive and are situated at the rear of the Railway Inn.



Court Ash House
18th century
Former town house

It is likely that the house known as Miller's Well, referred to in the 1633 Survey of Kingston, was the original house on this site. Court Ash House was built as a town house, probably in the late eighteenth century but was re-fronted around 1830. Edward Bullock Watts' map of 1829 notes that it was the property of a Mr Martin.

The building is of two storeys with a main facade of three bays. It is built of stone with a brick facade, now colour washed, under a double Roman concrete tiled roof between coped gables. There is a cornice moulding and a simple stone parapet.Centrally placed is a 6-panelled door with a Regency style door case that includes flat Roman Doric unfluted pilasters supporting an entablature with beading and shallow flat head, with a cast iron fret over. The fenestration comprises a 16-pane sash window to either side of the door, sadly with both bottom sashes having lost their glazing bars (why are so many Yeovil windows defaced in this way?), with matching windows above and a central 12-pane window. All windows are in plain openings with flat gauged brick arches.


Penn House
18th century
Former town house

Penn House is a fine late 18th Century town house set in its own extensive grounds and built high on Penn Hill behind South Street. When built it was the only building on the hill.

It was owned by wealthy mercer and town developer Peter Daniell (1764-1834) after whom Peter Street is named. From 1831, Peter Daniell lived there himself.

The sale details of 1877 indicate that Penn House had an entrance hall, dining room, drawing room, morning room, library and WC on the ground floor, five bedrooms, dressing room, WC and housemaid's closet on the first floor, five bedrooms on the second floor and, in the basement, a kitchen and scullery, butler's pantry, large fire-proof muniment room, smoking room, housekeeper's room, large larder, good wine and beer cellars, WC and a coal house. In the extensive grounds were vineries, a pinery, an orchid house, and other conservatories, stabling for five horses and two double coach houses with accommodation over,



1 High Street
Late 18th century
Former town house, now shops and part of the Mermaid

Although most of us can only ever remember these being the two shops integral with the Mermaid Hotel in High Street, this building was originally built in the late eighteenth century as a single town house. So, surprisingly to most of us, originally the Mermaid was only that part from the arch and to the east (off-photo here).

The former town house, is now two shops with the rest incorporated into the Mermaid Hotel. It is built in Ham stone ashlar under a Welsh slate roof. It is of two and a half storeys of 3-bays with modern shop fronts at ground floor level, with stonework including plinths to sides. The three first floor windows are 8-pane sashes in simple raised surrounds and at the eaves is a string course which matches that of the Mermaid Hotel adjoining. Two small dormer windows are slate clad, with segmental lead covered tops.



8a High Street
Late 18th century
Town house, turned into an early shop

8a High Street was built in the late eighteenth century, most likely as a private town house but has been a shop certainly from around the 1830s when a contemporary sketch illustrated the building with bow shop windows either side of the entrance door.

In the 1840s, it was occupied by chemist, and grocer William Veale Matthews who served as Portreeve of Yeovil from 1846 to 1849.

It is constructed in brick, now colour-washed, under a plain clay tiled roof. It is of three storeys of two bays. The modern shopfront occupies the whole width of the ground floor. The two first floor windows are modern in plain openings, while the two 9-light sashes to second floor are much older. There is a small-scale stone cornice with a low stone parapet over.


50 & 52 Princes Street
Late 18th century
Town house, turned into an early shop

This unimposing former house in Princes Street is now split into two shop premises with offices over. It was built towards the end of the eighteenth century and is under a clay tiled roof, with no copings to the gables. Of two storeys, the modern shop fronts of the ground floor are set in ashlar surrounds. To the first floor, four plain sash windows without glazing bars are set in plain openings.


Greyhound Yard
Early 19th century
eovil's last remaining 'Court' of dwellings

Greyhound Yard, also known as Greyhound Court, was named as such because it ran alongside and behind the Greyhound Hotel in South Street. The Greyhound Hotel was on the eastern corner of the yard and another pub, the thatched Cow Inn, was on the western corner.

The three dwellings in the yard were built in red Yeovil bricks with Ham stone dressings - as seen in this 2003 photograph peeking through the port-cochere of the Greyhound (now The Keep). Sadly, they have since been painted in a cream colour, losing the effect of the lovely red Yeovil bricks and the Ham stone detailing.


Green Quarry
Yeovil's earliest surviving domestic properties?

Green Quarry is an area off Mudford Road, on the eastern side and more or less opposite Hollands (now part of Yeovil College campus) and north of Sparrow Road. 'Green' was a term commonly applied to marshy areas and the quarry reference derives from a small quarry in the area that lay close to the footpath leading to Green Moor on the northern boundary of the parish near Yeovil Marsh.

There were originally two blocks of cottages; the western block, comprising Nos 1 and 2 Green Quarry and abutting Mudford Road, was demolished in 1958. The eastern row of cottages, seen here, still survive. A datestone set into this surviving row of cottages reads E over GA over 1805 - it is not known who the builder was. Nevertheless, the construction date of 1805 makes these the oldest known surviving domestic cottages in Yeovil.



Flowers House
circa 1820
Town house, later a school and a doctor's surgery

Flower's House, 15 Hendford situated between Ayr House and the Butchers Arms, was built around 1820. During the late 1830s and early 1840s the house was the property of Dr Samuel and Mary Bradley. During the latter part of the nineteenth century it housed twenty boarders of the Yeovil Free School (located at the Chantry) and later became the Grammar School run by Henry Monk. It was the
home and surgery of Doctor George Flower in the early 20th century. It still retains the doctor's night bell and speaking tube by the front door.

The building is of local stone, cut and squared, with ashlar dressings under a Welsh slate roof between coped gables. It is of three storeys, with a facade of five-bays. The central doorway (three steps up) has a five-panel door (the upper four glazed) in a painted stone surround, with a shallow cornice mould hood supported by simple console brackets. There are plain architraves to the sash windows at each level: the ground floor windows have lost their glazing bars, while the first and second floors have 12-pane windows.



Glenthorne House
circa 1820
An architecturally-vandalised Regency house

Glenthorne House, 38 Princes Street, is a fine example of a Regency house - unfortunately today ruined by the removal of the glazing bars in the windows facing Princes Street, the removal of the porch over the original entrance to the side and, worst of all, the addition of an unsightly and completely unsympathetic 1980s entrance simply tacked on to the Princes Street elevation. It retains a good parapet but its remaining chief feature of interest is the Regency lantern fanlight at the side entrance - unique in Yeovil.

Glenthorne House was built as a villa around 1820 and may have been built by Samuel Watts the Younger (1774-1843) a prominent Yeovil solicitor and banker. Certainly his son, Henry Marsh Watts, was living there in 1831. It is a detached stucco house (now offices) set back in a garden, now used as parking. The main front is two-storeyed and three-windowed with round-headed windows to the first floor and, originally, sash windows with shutters below. The principal doorway used to be that on the south side and, although the canopy above the door has been removed, the lantern fanlight has fortunately been retained.


Goodford's Folly
Estate worker's cottage

As far as I'm aware today there is no official name for this cottage in Mudford Road, but it was built by, and belonged to, the Goodford family of Yeovil and Chilton Cantelo. It was referred to as Goodford's Folly in the 1841 and 1851 census returns (presumably because it was such a large cottage and also so isolated). It was named as Goodford's Cottage in both the 1861 and 1871 census returns.

Originally thatched, the cottage still stands today, end-on to the Mudford Road, shortly before the bend in the road at Hundredstone where Stone Lane and Combe Street Lane join Mudford Road. Originally,  the cottage was the only building in the area. It was built in 1821 for an estate worker and a datestone over the entrance carries the arms of Goodford impaled with Cholmeley and the date of 1821 below a ribbon carrying the initials of G and C.


Bide's Leatherworks
circa 1828
Leather dressing factory

Around 1828, William Bide Snr built the large leather dressing factory with a four-storey leather-dressing warehouse on the corner of Kiddles Lane (now Eastland Road) and Reckleford. William died in 1830 and the factory was left to his son, William Bide Jnr, and described in his will as a "newly-built glove factory, a yard and an old loft adjoining and around with a wall and parting door."

The Eastland Road Dressing Yard and Tannery, one of the town's last links with its industrial past, was originally four storeys, the lower three storeys built in stone while the top storey, now removed, was in timber (the photograph here dates to the 1970s). The main building was built in random coursed local stone, with some brick piers with timber infill at high level under slated roofs (now removed). The original and main block, was of four storeys with a double pitch gable end valley roof It had six arched windows at the lowest level, with windows with semi-circular arched heads at first and second floor levels as well as central doors to both levels, with a hoist and roller tackle projecting bar.   



Preston Lower Farm
now Preston Park House

The farmhouse of Preston Lower Farm was built about 1820 and the farm lay entirely within the ancient Tithing of Preston Bermondsey. The farmhouse displays classical Georgian features such as wide, overhanging eaves and 'marginal lights' to the windows. The original house (the extension to the side is modern) was of two storeys and three bays, built of stone and Ham stone ashlar under a Welsh slate bell cast hipped roof with wide eaves.

 It has a central flat roof which, most likely, previously had a lantern light. The central stone doorcase has an open pediment on typical Yeovil console brackets while the doorway itself has a depressed arch with a simple fanlight. The window openings have architraves with keystones while the windows themselves (except the central first floor window) are sashes with small marginal panes. The original house is now Grade II Listed.



Large Georgian building in Princes Street

This building is commercial offices (possibly always such) built around 1820. The building is rendered with a roof hidden behind the parapet. The building is of three-storeys of three bays. The ground floor was divided into two shops with modern shop-fronts, lately combined into one shop and, later still, became part of the adjoining bank. The building underwent many cosmetic changes, mostly in the twentieth century.

The building now has a late twentieth-century door in a plain recessed opening to the left-hand bay of the ground floor, two late twentieth-century semi-circular arched windows in the centre and right-hand bay. The first floor once had a full-width balconet with a decorative wrought iron railing but now just has three 12-pane sliding sashes in architraves; the centre window is set in a semi-circular arched recess and has a flat bracketted hood, the outer windows have pedimented hoods on corbel brackets: 6-pane sashes at the second floor level. There are band courses at first and second floor levels, then a cornice and a much-reduced panelled parapet.



Albion House
circa 1820
Private Town House, converted to a shop around 1850

31 Princes Street was built around 1820 as a private town house, known as Albion House. Of three bays and three storeys, it is built of red brick under a Welsh slated roof, with a low coping to the south gable. There are three sash windows with 12-panes to the first floor, in plain reveals with gauged brick flat arches over, with three similar but shallower windows above.

By about 1850, it had been converted to shop premises with an ornate ground floor shop front and accommodation over and from the 1870s until the late 1960s it was the premises of Ebenezer Whitby a printer, bookseller and stationer trading as E Whitby & Son.



Wyndham House
circa 1820
A Georgian residence, now shops

Wyndham House, 33-41 Princes Street, was built around 1820 as the Wyndham family's Town House. It later became the residence of draper John Gliddon and, by 1911, Wyndham House was the home to Gliddon's son, 29-year old draper John Gliddon Jnr and his new bride Evelyn Maude née Roberts, her father and mother, a housekeeper and general servant as well as seven staff who worked in the shop. It is unlikely that Wyndham House was a shop at this time and it is most likely, and certainly by 1909, Gliddon's shop premises were at Alma House, 3 High Street.

Originally a Town House, Wyndham House is now shops with offices over. It is of three-storeys and three-bays, built of Ham stone ashlar under a Welsh slate roof behind a low parapet. The bays are irregular, the right hand being narrower than the other two, with each end being defined by rusticated pilasters. The first floor has three windows each of 12 panes set in stone architraves (glazing bars to the lower casements now sadly removed and completely spoiling their appearance, not helped by the ghastly demi-awnings over) above which, separated by a string course, are matching second-floor windows, fortunately unadulterated. All the windows are set in stone architraves and feature 'marginal lights' - a typically Regency feature.



The country seat of the Battens

Set within extensive parkland, and originally a working farm, Aldon became the home of John Batten the elder, banker and solicitor, who purchased it in 1829 and built the present house. The house itself is a mid-nineteenth century country house built of Ham stone ashlar under a Welsh slate roof partly hidden behind parapets.

It is U-shaped in plan and chiefly of two storeys. The entrance facade faces southwest, and is of five bays with the centre bay recessed and projecting wings to either side. The southeast garden front (seen here) has three bays with the third bay is in the form of an end gable. The northeast, or rear, elevation is more complex with three Dutch gables and transomed windows of seventeenth century style.



25 High Street
Yeovil's largest department store

25 High Street had originally been built in 1830 for a draper's business, Edwards & Deane. Following the bankruptcy and dissolution of the partnership of Peter Edwards and George Deane in 1835, by 1841 it was occupied by draper Peter Edwards trading on his own. Lindsay Denner was born in Honiton in 1844, came to Yeovil in 1875, and bought the premises at 25 High Street, styling himself a "Silk Mercer, Family Draper, Hosier & Haberdasher".

The building is of plain brick with a stone cornice and rusticated quoins originally under a Welsh slated roof behind a brick parapet, but since 1983 a Mansard roof hides an additional floor. The building was originally of three-storeys with 5-bays divided by the pilasters into a 1-3-1 pattern. A modern shopfront occupies the whole of the ground floor. The windows to both levels are 12-pane sashes in plain openings. The facade is surmounted by a simple balustrade with pediment with incised ornament in a Soanian manner.




8 High Street
circa 1830
Town House or Shop?

No 8 High Street was built around 1830, possibly as a town house or perhaps it has always been a shop, it has certainly been a shop premises with accommodation over at least from around the 1830s when a sketch illustrated the building with bow shop windows either side of the entrance door. At this time, it was the premises of Benjamin Ryall, a linen draper and also the last Portreeve of Yeovil, who occupied the building until his death in 1856.

The building is of colour-washed ashlar stone, the roof hidden behind a parapet. It has a three-storey not quite symmetrical facade of three-bays in the Regency style. It now has a modern shopfront to the ground floor, with 6-panel doors simply set on either side, the left-hand being wider and having a margined fanlight, the right-hand door having a plain fanlight. The facade above has pilasters framing the 3-window bays and a further blank 'bay' on each side. The centre, at first floor level, has a recessed blind panel with a Soanian architrave flanked by angled bay plain sashes. A simple band course divides off the second floor windows, which are plain sashes set in panelled architraves, and the whole is crowned by a classical cornice with low parapet, raised slightly over the central bay, finishing with cast iron railings with an intertwined pattern.



Swallowcliffe House
circa 1830
Regency-style Town House

Swallowcliffe House in Kingston was most likely built by mason and master builder Charles Vining around 1830, probably for wealthy glove manufacturer George Mayo who certainly lived in it during the 1840s. In the Yeovil Reform Riot of October 1831, a faction of the rioting mob marched the length of Kingston to bombard the house with stones and other missiles and almost every pane of glass was demolished.

Swallowcliffe House is rendered, lined to imitate ashlar and colourwashed under a hipped Welsh slate roof with a wide Regency-style soffite. The east facade is of two-storeys and three-bays, having central stone Roman Doric porch of good projection with unfluted columns and pilasters and full entablature. Over the 6-panel door is a plain semi-circular fanlight and to either side are 12-pane sash windows with marginal lights and with radial deadlights over, set in semi-circular arched niches. At first floor level, there are three 12-pane sashes in plain openings.



Unitarian Manse

Grovecote was built in 1830, with financial assistance from Peter Daniell and others, as the manse for the minister of Yeovil's Unitarian Chapel in Vicarage Street on ground previously given to the society.

Grovecote is a two-storey house, rectangular on plan, with flanking sidewalls. It has a symmetrical classically-styled south front of three bays, of ashlar under a shallow hipped Welsh slate roof with deep eaves. There is a central projecting porch with slender Tuscan columns and the entrance is flanked by 16-pane sash windows, with three further sash windows to the first floor. To either side of the facade are rendered sidewalls with swept, curved copings and niches.



Church Terrace
Regency terraced cottages

Church Terrace is a terrace of houses, now all offices, dating to the late 1830s, approached via a flight of stone steps from Silver Street. In its early days, at least until the 1880's, it was known simply as Church Yard.

Nos 1 to 4 are rendered and colour-washed while Nos 5 and 6 are colour-washed brickwork, all under Welsh slate roofs with plain verges to the gables. The terrace is built in stepped pairs, of which Nos 1 and 2 are the lowest. Each house is of two storeys and two bays with central doorways on either side of the party wall.

The entrance doors have segmental porch hoods on simple wooden brackets to Nos 1 to 4 and wrought iron brackets for curved porch hoods remain (most likely not original) but the hoods have gone. The windows are 16-pane sashes, one to each floor of each house, with all glazing bars intact. There are boundary railings to both Nos 1 and 2, those to No 1 apparently original. Nos 3 and 4 have no railings while those to Nos 5 and 6 are more ornate and almost certainly early nineteenth century as are the railings on the churchyard side of the footpath.



66 Hendford
early 1830s
A fine example of Regency-style marginal lights

The Regency style of architecture refers primarily to buildings built during the period in the early 19th century when George IV was Prince Regent, and also to later buildings following the same style. This is one of four detached houses in Hendford that were built during this period.

66 Hendford, it was built around 1830 and is shown on Watt's map of 1831 as well as Bidder's map of 1843. The most architecturally interesting feature of this villa is that it has retained the marginal lights - a typical Regency characteristic - in all its windows, somewhat unusual for Yeovil where it seems many windows have been visually ruined by the removal of glazing bars.



68 Hendford
early 1830s
A Regency villa with Victorian bay windows

Formerly No 57 Hendford, this villa was built around 1830. It has retained the marginal lights - a typical Regency characteristic - in all its first floor windows, but the ground floor windows have been replaced with Victorian bay windows in stone - somewhat out of character with the original simple, classic lines of the villa.

This villa has a hipped Welsh slate roof with wide overhanging flat-soffite eaves. It is of two-storeys of three-bays with a projecting stone flat-roof porch with Ionic columns and full entablature; six-panel door of which four are now glazed: on either side are two flat roofed, angled bay windows with plain sash windows, with cornices and small parapets. On the first floor are three 12-pane sash windows with marginal lights.




70 Hendford
early 1830s
Regency-style former Vicarage

Formerly No 56 Hendford, it was built around 1830 in the Regency style and is shown on Watt's map of 1831 as well as Bidder's map of 1843 and both maps show the side extension to be contemporary. This is the former Hendford Vicarage

It is brick-built, with the front elevation at first floor level rendered and scored to give the appearance of ashlar. The ground floor has a full-width Victorian extension, typically over-elaborate and somewhat spoiling the plain simplicity of the original elevation which would have, when built, closely matched its neighbours.



72 Hendford
A fine, simple Regency villa

A good example of a simple Regency-style villa, it was built around 1830 and is shown on Watt's map of 1831. The building has simple, elegant proportions and a fine stone porch supported on Ionic columns.

The villa is stucco, colour-washed and with band courses at first floor and the eaves. It is under a hipped Welsh slate roof with a typically Regency-style wide eaves overhang.

It is of two-storeys and three-bays with a central projecting stone porch with a pair of attached and a pair of detached very slender fluted Ionic columns, the entablature having a Greek frieze and capped with acanthus acroterion-type ornament. The windows are 12-pane to the ground floor and 9-pane to the first floor. The stone front boundary wall has two stone gate piers with incised panel fronts and bands of Greek frieze ornament with simple pyramidal caps.




Former New Inn
98 Middle Street, built as an inn

The name 'New Inn' was frequently applied to a former inn on the site that had been rebuilt after some disaster or other, such as a fire. In this case, however, it may have been that the old inn fronted onto Middle Street but was demolished when Bond Street was laid out and constructed around 1830-35 by Peter Daniell.

It was built by the Crewkerne United Breweries Co. Ltd. whose name was originally seen inscribed on the building above the corner entrance.

In the 1970's it re-opened as a public house named the Flying Machine. Now, of course, it is a branch of the Nationwide Building Society and has completely lost its character at ground floor level as well as losing its corner entrance. Above, fortunately, the pleasing proportions of the fenestration and stonework detailing of the building remain unscathed.



Trinity House
A Regency-style house

Trinity House is one of the few remaining original buildings in Peter Street. It was built in the Regency style and displays 'marginal lights' in the first floor windows - a typical Regency feature. It was built in 1836 and during a recent (2017) re-roofing of the building, a rafter was seen to be dated, with '1836, T.H' carved neatly into it. The building is in brick (now colour-washed) with stone rusticated quoins and eaves cornice under a Welsh slate hipped roof.

It is of three storeys with irregular fenestration and a modern large shop window at ground floor level. To the first floor are two symmetrically placed 12-pane sash windows with Regency-style marginal lights in plain openings. To the second floor are three symmetrically placed 16-light sash windows without marginal lights, also set plain.





Pall Tavern
for centuries owned by the Woborn Almshouse

It is not really clear when the Pall Tavern first opened its doors - the current building (or, at least the front) only dates from 1836 when all the buildings in lower Silver Street were moved back some three feet for street widening, but its predecessor had been trading for many generations. The first record in which the Pall is mentioned as an inn as opposed to a private dwelling, is in a lease dated 1769.

The building is of plain brick with a stone cornice and rusticated quoins originally under a Welsh slated roof behind a brick parapet, but since 1983 a Mansard roof hides an additional floor. The building was originally of three-storeys with 5-bays divided by the pilasters into a 1-3-1 pattern. A modern shopfront occupies the whole of the ground floor. The windows to both levels are 12-pane sashes in plain openings. The facade is surmounted by a simple balustrade with pediment with incised ornament in a Soanian manner.



Former Workhouse
Surviving Administration block

A parliamentary report of 1777 recorded a parish workhouse in operation in Yeovil for up to 60 inmates. Yeovil Poor Law Union was formed on 13th May 1836 and its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians.

Yeovil Union Workhouse, or to give it its proper title the Yeovil Union Public Assistance Institution, was built in 1837 at the north side of Preston Road in Yeovil.

The architect was Sampson Kempthorne and adopted his model hexagonal plan which he also employed for the workhouse at the nearby Taunton Union. A two-storey entrance block at the south, the only part to survive today, contained a porter's room on the ground floor, with the Guardians' board room above. To the rear three wings, now gone, for the various classes of inmate (male/female, infirm/able-bodied) radiated from a central hub. The hub had kitchens on the ground floor and the master's quarters above. Windows in the hub provided views in each direction over the segregated inmates' yards. The workhouse could accommodate 300 paupers and a hospital for 60 patients was subsequently added.



Deposit Bank
"A safe depository for the poor man's savings"

Wealthy glove manufacturer George Mayo played a large part in founding the first Yeovil Savings Bank and was its Chairman in 1839 when these new premises were opened in High Street. The Western Flying Post reporting at the time of the opening "A handsome building, three storeys high, mostly in the Grecian style, with balcony, portico and balustrade." The building was designed by Bennett and built by Churchouse, both Yeovil men.

The Deposit Bank was built in ashlar ham stone, with a flat roof behind the parapet. It is of three-storeys, of three-bays, with a modern shopfront at ground floor level spanning between 2-fluted Doric attached columns (now sadly obscured by garish and completely unsympathetic signage). A stone cornice moulding is over the fascia. To the first floor is a central two-sided oriel window with plain sashes, seated on a projection of the cornice and crowned with a anthemion acroteria.It is flanked by two plain sash windows in architraves, with cast iron balcony frets between low stone piers capped with anthemion ornament. A stone band at oriel cornice level divides off the three second floor windows, four-pane sashes set in architraves, the centre being lugged and heeled. Flat pilasters to either side terminate in a classical dentilled cornice surmounted by a parapet with some open work and a central pediment containing an incised design featuring the letters D and B, for "Deposit Bank". .



circa 1840
Birthplace of the Park School

Ashgrove is a substantial Regency-style residence dating to about 1840 in once-extensive grounds on the northern corner of the junction of Sparrow Lane (now Sparrow Road) with Mudford Road. It was certainly built after 1831 as Madeley's map of that year shows the site as a field but it is clearly shown on the Tithe Map of 1842.

The 1846 Tithe Apportionment noted that the owner at this time was glove manufacturer, later Mayor of Yeovil, Elias Whitby Jnr. In 1851, at the age of 21, Martha Softley started her own school here. Her school would later become The Park School. Ashgrove is of two storeys and three bays with colour-washed render scribed with course lines under a hipped Welsh slate roof with wide overhanging eaves. There is a projecting central porch with Roman Doric unfluted columns and flat pilasters carrying a full entablature with a flat roof. Fenestration comprises 12-pane sash windows to the ground floor and 9-pane sashes to the first floor.



Penn Villa
circa 1840
Home and Surgery of two pioneering dentists

William Hunt first used ether as a dental anaesthetic in this house at Christmas 1847, a year after its first European use by London surgeon James Robinson. Hunt's son, William Hunt jnr, published the earliest English paper on the use of hypodermic injection of cocaine as a local anaesthetic in 1886. 

Their house is still a dental surgery more than a century and a half later. A Regency-style villa, it was built around 1840, of rendered and colour-washed brick under a hipped Welsh slated roof with wide soffits. It has a two storey facade of three bays with a central projecting porch having square non-classical columns and pilasters with conventional entablature, all in colour-washed stone but having the sides filled in with margined windows. Fenestration is plain sashes without glazing bars to the ground floor and three 12-pane windows with Regency-style margined sash windows to the first floor, all in plain openings. There are several early twentieth century extensions to the south and rear



Holcote House
Regency-style Villa

The home of a branch of the Whitby family for most of the nineteenth century, Holcote House, facing Mudford Road, is a Regency-style house built around 1841 and recently, until 2018, formed part of Yeovil College campus. Holcote House was almost certainly built after the spring of 1841 since the census of that year shows only a few poor families living in Mudford Road. However the 1842 Tithe Map shows that Holcote House had been built by this time.

The building is rendered and colour-washed, with unpainted Ham stone dressings under hipped Welsh slate roofs, the main roof having wide eaves overhang. It comprise two storeys of three-bays, with an extension across whole of ground floor of main house, and also a one storey extension to the west side. The ground floor extension is only of two-bays, divided by stone panelled flat Doric pilasters, with two margined sash windows; it has a bell-cast slate roof. Above are three semi-circular headed windows in architraves, of 6-panes with radials. The west extension of three-bays: the left-hand bay having a 4-panel door (of which the 2-upper panels are glazed) up two steps, set in an architrave with impost, intermediate and keystones: to the right two margined casement windows flanked and divided by matching stone pilasters, and above a stone cornice and plain parapet. 


Church of the Holy Trinity
Church in the Early English style

Designed by the Diocesan architect, Benjamin Ferrey, Holy Trinity was consecrated on 28 October 1846. It is built of Ham stone ashlar under a Welsh slated roof. The church is of cruciform plan with four-bays to the nave, added north and south aisles, chapels to the east of the transepts and the sanctuary set lower than the chancel. There is no tower, but a small turret to the west end, all predominantly in a thirteenth-century style.

Congregations declined and in the 1980s plans were set in place to relocate the church to Lysander Road. The new church was completed in 1998. The original church, once declared redundant, was converted by Knightstone Housing Association to Yeovil Trinity Foyer in 1996 to provide accommodation and training to young people aged between 16 and 24 years old. This facility is now closed.




4 Church Street
late 1840s
An early Victorian solicitor's office

Built in the Georgian style as solicitor's offices complete with a muniment, or document, room and with accommodation over, No 4 Church Street (at this time called Church Lane) was actually built during the late 1840s

No 4 Church Street was built of cut and squared local stone in random courses with Ham stone dressings under a Welsh slated roof between coped gables. The two-storey facade is of 5-bays of A.B.A.B.A. pattern, the middle 3-bays projecting slightly. The entrance doorway, in bay 2, has a plain architrave with a flat stone hood and typical Yeovil pattern console brackets. The six-panelled door has an ornamental rectangular cast iron fanlight over. 12-pane sash windows are to bays 2 and 4, 8-pane sashes to bays 1, 3 and 5 (bays 1 and 3 being blank on the ground floor), all set in architraves. There is a small plinth and a band course between floors. The quoins are unmarked. There is a low parapet incorporating cornice moulding to the three centre bays.




The Town House
Yeovil's first Police Station

Yeovil's Watch House, the early equivalent of a Police Station, was originally in the Tolle Hall in the Borough but by the 1830s had literally been falling down for years. In 1845 the Town Commissioners proposed converting the Oxford Inn into a Watch House and Superintendent's house but the plans came to nothing.

In 1849 the Town Commissioners built the building, now in Union Street, known as the Town House to provide a Police Station and a residence for a Superintendent, who was also the Town Surveyor and Rate Collector. The Town House was taken over by the County Constabulary in 1857 and the building remained a Police Station until 1938. In 1984 the Town House was acquired by Yeovil Town Council and the adjoining building was purchased in 1994 and converted into the Mayor's Parlour. This is situated on what was the exercise yard in front of the three police station cells which still exist, albeit now only used for document storage.



Part Two - Yeovil, Then and Now


Fiveways, looking south to Kingston Fiveways, looking north from Kingston



Kingston, looking north Kingston, looking south



Princes Street, northern end Court Ash, from Princes Street



Junction of Hendford and Princes Street Princes Street, looking north



Hendford, looking from ex-Three Choughs Hendford, looking from Manor Hotel



Entrance of South Street from Hendford South Street, looking north



South Street looking to the Triangle South Street, looking from the Triangle


Clarence Street, looking north Clarence Street, looking south



Park Road, looking west Park Road, looking east



Westminster Street, looking west Westminster Street, looking east



High Street, looking east from Hendford High Street, looking west



The Borough, looking east from High Street The Borough, looking west



Middle Street, looking from the Borough Middle Street looking to the Borough



The Triangle, looking west The Triangle, looking east



Lower Middle Street looking west Lower Middle Street looking east



Peter Street, looking west Bond Street, from South Street



Preston Plucknett, looking east Jubilee Cottages / Place, Preston Plucknett


About the "Story of Yeovil" Project
Under the auspices of the Arts & Heritage Working Group, "Story of Yeovil" is a community arts and heritage project for Yeovil residents and visitors from further afield. There is a programme of events, talks, online exhibitions, educational resources, publications, displays and workshops taking place over 18 months until March 2024.

The online exhibitions of Yeovil's Virtual Museum will remain here indefinitely.

The project explores Yeovil’s heritage and social history through the voice of local communities. We will gather stories from diverse perspectives through a series of creative activities and share them through three main themes: View of Yeovil, Sound of Yeovil and Taste of Yeovil.